Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Photography At LAX

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 am

Hello all,
I have been up to LAX to spot a few times, and I am looking to improve my photographs.

What are some good spots for photography from a 10mm-250mm range for the northern runways? I have tried the Inn Out, the Parking Spot, and the Area directly north of the 24R threshold, but all are backlit at midday. Are there other garages or areas that are photography friendly that offer good clean non backlit views?

Any help is appreciated

-29er

andrew50

RE: Photography At LAX

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:28 am

Renaissance Hotel parking garage top level. Great shots of the 24R arrivals. I have always stayed there so I wasn't worried about being asked to leave.

kann123air

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Thread starter):
What are some good spots for photography from a 10mm-250mm range for the northern runways?

Have you checked out the Burger King on the intersection of Airport and 96th? Nice lighting for 24R arrivals.

A 73G was at about 250mm and a 763 was at 180mm.

mbs707

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 am

Although I'm not a local spotter at LAX, I have spotted there many times. Shooting from In-N-Out is pretty much useless from late September to early April unless you want to take some sunset shots. Even then the sun will be well south of the field. During late spring, and summer seasons, when the light has crossed the runway (at which point the light will only get better until the sun sets), you can shoot from In-N-Out.

You can definitely shoot from Burger King, and the Renaissance Hotel parking lots. Also if you want to get a bit closer to the field and higher, there is a parking garage named Quik Park which is behind the Radisson Hotel. It provides a great view for arrivals for the 24s.

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 am

What are some good spots for photography from a 10mm-250mm range for the northern runways? I have tried the Inn Out, the Parking Spot, and the Area directly north of the 24R threshold, but all are backlit at midday. Are there other garages or areas that are photography friendly that offer good clean non backlit views?

Depends on time of year. During the winter, you want to be shooting from south of the airplanes, as that's the sunlit side.

During the summer, though, the Westchester Parkway bridge over Lincoln Blvd is a great place to shoot the north side, and 250mm is plenty for most aircraft there:

http://goo.gl/maps/rl2qc

These shots were taken from there, AA with a 300mm lens and ANA with a 70-200:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vik S
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vik S

Unfortunately there's no parking right there, so you have to park maybe a half mile away and walk.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:27 am

Thank you all for the replies! I noticed a small parking lot with a building very close to the WN terminal (T2 I think?) close to the threshold of runway 24L. It seems it could be closer and better for photography. Has any one been to this spot? Is it restricted? It appears to be on Davidson Dr. just north of the 96th Street Bridge. Looks like it would offer some nice views of the tarmac as well

Also, I have heard of a pre security food court at the TBIT. Is this true, and is it worth it over a normal venue? Im sure I wouldn't see a single narrow body if I went there, but I really care about the heavies, a big rarity down here in SAN.

[Edited 2015-01-19 21:32:57]

jetmatt777

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Also, if you are at In-N-Out, just cross the street and walk south on Sepulveda until you are south of the approach path. Same traffic but you'll get the light on your side. No one will bother you and there's not a ton of foot traffic on the sidewalk, so you won't be in the way/bothersome.

san747

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 5):

Also, I have heard of a pre security food court at the TBIT. Is this true, and is it worth it over a normal venue? Im sure I wouldn't see a single narrow body if I went there, but I really care about the heavies, a big rarity down here in SAN.

Unfortunately, that is no longer there. Guests with a valid boarding pass (whether or not travelling with a TBIT airline or not) can access the post-security food court, but the days of hanging out and spotting from the original pre-security food court are over for now. It's too bad, I loved to do that back in the day, and one was able to even as recently as 2012. I mean now, working at LAX, I get an even better vantage point of course, but it sucks for the rest of us.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello again,
and thank you for all the replies.

I asked this in this this thread one or two replies up, but never got an answer.

I noticed a small parking lot with a building very close to the WN terminal (T2 I think?) close to the threshold of runway 24L. It seems it could be closer and better for photography. Has any one been to this spot? Is it restricted? It appears to be on Davidson Dr. just north of the 96th Street Bridge. Looks like it would offer some nice views of the tarmac as well

Does anyone know if there is an obstructing fence or other barrier preventing good photography?

Any help is appreciated.  

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 8):
I noticed a small parking lot with a building very close to the WN terminal (T2 I think?) close to the threshold of runway 24L. It seems it could be closer and better for photography. Has any one been to this spot? Is it restricted? It appears to be on Davidson Dr. just north of the 96th Street Bridge. Looks like it would offer some nice views of the tarmac as well

Does anyone know if there is an obstructing fence or other barrier preventing good photography?

Pretty sure all those lots are restricted. Possibly airport employee parking or something - not sure.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):

Pretty sure all those lots are restricted. Possibly airport employee parking or something - not sure.

Okay thank you. On Apple Maps, it didnt look like there was a gate at all, but we all know how reliable Apple Maps is  

727LOVER

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 8):
I noticed a small parking lot with a building very close to the WN terminal (T2 I think?) close to the threshold of runway 24L. It seems it could be closer and better for photography. Has any one been to this spot?

Not that lot.

But....now I was only at LAX once, back in November 2006...and I shot from parking lot C. It is just E-NE from the lot you described. Looking on Google Maps, it appears to still be there. I shot a bunch of 24R landing shots, not too wing high either. It was back in my film days, so I can't show them.

Hope that helps.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 11):
But....now I was only at LAX once, back in November 2006...and I shot from parking lot C. It is just E-NE from the lot you described. Looking on Google Maps, it appears to still be there. I shot a bunch of 24R landing shots, not too wing high either. It was back in my film days, so I can't show them.

Thanks for the tip? I couldve sworn this place was restricted or Photography wasnt allowed. Does anyone have any more up to date info on the status of this lot?

marky

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm not a LAX local, but when I was there in November I shot northside arrivals from the elevated road that crosses Sepulveda Blvd, which according to Google Maps is W 96 Street Skyway. I left the car in the nearby Quikpark which wasn't too expensive.

Virtually all my uploaded LAX shots are from there, all with 70-200, including these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © MarkStevens
View Large View Medium

Photo © MarkStevens

View Large View Medium

Photo © MarkStevens
View Large View Medium

Photo © MarkStevens

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting marky (Reply 13):
Sepulveda Blvd, which according to Google Maps is W 96 Street Skyway. I left the car in the nearby Quikpark which wasn't too expensive.

Okay thanks. On Apple Maps, there does not appear to be a Sidewalk on the North Side of the Bridge. Is there one, or would I have to shoot over cars, jeprodizing a shot?

emanwingnut

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 am

Any professional photographer will tell you it's all about your glass (lenses) not your camera.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 am

I was looking around Apple Maps (yet again) and I saw that you can park at the In n out, and walk down to get a good, not backlit shot. This is really good for me, as my mother is driving me and my friends, and she will want to be able to sit in the car/restaurant. If I walk down far enough, will there be a good shot that isn't just the belly of the plane like the Inn out? Another question, is it tricky to find an area without obstructions (i.e. street lamps/posts, signs)

vikkyvik

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 16):
If I walk down far enough, will there be a good shot that isn't just the belly of the plane like the Inn out?

Yes, should be fine.

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 16):
Another question, is it tricky to find an area without obstructions (i.e. street lamps/posts, signs)

It can be, depending on where you're standing. But it's not too hard to find an unblocked spot for side-ons.

marky

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 14):
On Apple Maps, there does not appear to be a Sidewalk on the North Side of the Bridge. Is there one, or would I have to shoot over cars, jeprodizing a shot?

There is a sidewalk on both sides, but I found the southside fine. Cars are not a problem.

san747

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 12):
Thanks for the tip? I couldve sworn this place was restricted or Photography wasnt allowed. Does anyone have any more up to date info on the status of this lot?

It's still a good spot for pics, but it's no longer free for the first two hours like it used to be. $2/hour starting from the moment you enter. Best bet for you would be to park at In'N'Out and walk down Sepulveda like the above posters have mentioned.

Quoting emanwingnut (Reply 15):
Any professional photographer will tell you it's all about your glass (lenses) not your camera.

All too true. A high-quality lens is what will take your pics to the next level, along with skills in editing/post-processing.

rgrand

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm

I like the grassy area along the sidewalk on the east side of Sepulveda by the LAX sign. This time of year you can get some great afternoon shots.

A word of caution though. I was there recently and was approached by a big scary , Darth Vader looking homeless guy who was camped out by the trees. He was barefoot wearing a hoody and sunglasses. Even though I was about 100' from him, he informed me in no uncertain terms at the top of his lungs that I was unwelcome. I didn't argue.

Airspeed772

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 am

Go West on Imperial Hwy at Pershing turn left past World Way West , the. Next Street turn left it will take up a short incline. Park at the top of the hill you will get a birds eye view of all Depatures from Lax 24L, 24R and also departures from the South RWys 25L and 25R.

jetmatt777

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Quoting rgrand (Reply 20):
A word of caution though. I was there recently and was approached by a big scary , Darth Vader looking homeless guy who was camped out by the trees. He was barefoot wearing a hoody and sunglasses. Even though I was about 100' from him, he informed me in no uncertain terms at the top of his lungs that I was unwelcome. I didn't argue.

I always tell them to "F*** off!". They are trying to intimidate you. Don't let them.

JeffM

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Good advice is to leave for a bit...unless you are in a group.
-Jeff

lindy field

Re: Photography At LAX

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi all,

Just for kicks, I thought I'd reactivate an old thread since I'm going to be in LA at the end of this month (March) and I'd like to visit LAX. I know the north side is good in summer and the south side in the winter, but can any of you make recommendations for early spring? Also, I was wondering if the Proud Bird is still open and if the Flight Path Learning Center is worth visiting. What's the likelihood of being able to photograph from Flight Path? Additionally, any recommendations for time of day to visit would be most welcome. It would be great to see and photograph some traffic that doesn't make it up to SFO.

Thanks for your responses,

Edward