Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jpmagero
Topic Author

SCL Spotting Assistance

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 am

Hi - looking for some current advice or tips on spotting locations at SCL (Santiago, Chile). I will not have a car, so can only go to fairly accessible locations. I will probably have between 4-5 hrs around noon to 5PM or so, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

acontador

RE: SCL Spotting Assistance

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi John,

In my profile you will find a (crude) spotting locations map fro SCL. Mind you that some points are no longer accessible. The time you are indicating is the worst in terms of heat haze, very difficult to get anything on the ground. With little time and no car it's even worse  .

You can try the eastern end of the terminal (airside domestic gates, facing the Andes mountains), there you have a great unobstructed view of Rwy 17L, but you are shooting through thick, tinted and dirty glass. This is an example (late evening shot) from that location:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrés Contador - AirTeamImages

Also, outside departure level eastern side you have a rather small field of view for some photography on Rwy 17L with lots of obstacles:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Francisco Muro

Everything else is not really within a reasonable walking distance from the terminal, and no good public transportation to these spotting points either, so you will need a car or some good soul who is willing to take you there!

Just drop me a PM if you need more info!

Cheers,
Andres

jpmagero
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks a lot Andres - helpful information. I won't have time for a car, so may have to live with what I can get from inside the terminal. I am flying Aerolineas Argentinas to EZE, so I guess I won't be in that domestic terminal, no?

Will probably return in the coming months and will try to have more time to get a car and wonder around. At face value, is it safe to say that access around the perimeter is fairly free and open? Or do the cops hassle anyone there?

acontador

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi John,

Just found also this picture:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrés Contador - AirTeamImages

The best view airside is on the right end of the terminal building, but it is inside the domestic part, so you will not have access if you are transiting from international flights (that part of the terminal is about from the middle to the left). On the international side you'll have either double windows and/or facing the sun, so not really any good place to take decent pictures.

If you are transiting you will also not be able to leave the terminal, thus the other spot (where the access road coming from the left rises to the second (departure) level and the turns left, exactly at this corner is where you have the view of the second picture I included in my first reply.

So, overall if you are transiting better sit back and enjoy and don't bother with pictures   !

Cheers,
Andres

jpmagero
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm

You were right, international terminal not good in the afternoon. Mostly backlit, but managed to grab a few, happiest with this 707 Chilean Air Force. https://twitter.com/jpmagero/status/447116719354810368

ernestxwb

Re: RE: SCL Spotting Assistance

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 am

acontador wrote:
Everything else is not really within a reasonable walking distance from the terminal, and no good public transportation to these spotting points either, so you will need a car or some good soul who is willing to take you there!

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Santiago later this year and plan to do some spotting. Do you think it would be possible if we take a taxi to some of the locations outside the airport? Is safety a concern near the perimeter fences?

Thanks

acontador

Re: RE: SCL Spotting Assistance

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 pm

ernestxwb wrote:
acontador wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Santiago later this year and plan to do some spotting. Do you think it would be possible if we take a taxi to some of the locations outside the airport? Is safety a concern near the perimeter fences?

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, safety is now a big concern around the perimeter fence. As usual in this cases, you can risk going with a taxi and stay there two to three hours in the morning (until the sun is too high for a decent light) and nothing happens, but it will be at your own risk since there has been numerous instances of robbery being reported. SCL has changed a lot in the last couple of years, many good (and safe) spotting locations are either built over or simply fenced out and thus no longer accesible, and at the same time it has become very dangerous to hang around the perimeter flashing your bulky and expensive gear...really sad :(

The local spotting community has turned to organize bigger groups for spotting, so when you know the dates you will be here just let us know!

Cheers,
Andrés

ernestxwb

Re: SCL Spotting Assistance

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks so much for the info Andres! Very helpful.

Ernest