Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Joge
Topic Author

Fuji Velvia Vs. Kodak E100VS

Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:09 am

I would like to learn what do you think of these two films. Both are good and quite expensive (price about the same). Velvia is ISO 50 and E100VS, as the name itself says, ISO 100 film. Anyway, many says E100VS has even smaller grain than Velvia and that the E100VS has more saturated colours.

What is your opinion? Anyone else tried/using these films?

Jorgos Tsambikakis
Helsinki, Finland

Dufo

RE: Fuji Velvia Vs. Kodak E100VS

Mon Apr 17, 2000 2:35 am

I have never tried E100VS film, but after reading quite some interesting info about it, I will certanly try it soon.

About Velvia.. I highly recommend that film if you can afford it and if you have photo equipment that can 'use' the film.

One example of Velvia is https://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=46076

(if you want a higher res./better quality of this picture, tell me).

Jernej

thomasphoto60

Mon Apr 17, 2000 6:53 am

I have been using Fujifilm almost exclusively for over 15 years now. I got tired of tring to find facility that could process Koadachrome in my area.

To your question, I use Velvia for 99% of my work (planes & eveything else !) , occasionally I will use the higher speed Sensia (200) for other work. As for Kodak's EV100VS .. well I have not had a chance to use it, and to be honest I'am a little weary of Kodak's E-6 films, although I have not used any since 1985 ! Velvia is still not the best for flesh tones, but that is rather moot point here, since most of us are shooting planes, not people. 95% of my work on this board is shot with Velvia. Go to the home page and type in Thomas Millard to check out some of my work.

Thomas

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2000 5:09 pm

I've also tried Velvia. It's good for nice shots only when there is no yellow spotlights.  

Take a look:
https://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=69759

nikonman

Wed Apr 19, 2000 11:58 am

Do not use 100VS, it blows. If you're going to use a Fuji film use Provia F. It has the best saturation and grain (lack thereof) of any film on the market.

na

Fri May 19, 2000 3:04 am

Velvia has a too high contrast in my opinion, I´m mostly using Kodaks 100SW-slide-film.
Try that, it´s nice. I didn´t use the 100VS so far, but bought some films for test recently because my photo-dealer recommended it to me (he said it has also a very high contrast like Velvia, but its more "flexible" being 100 ASA and has a very fine grain/sharpness).

widebodyphotog

Fri May 19, 2000 11:23 pm

I have extensive experience with the fuji and kodak products myself and I have found them both to be very good films. Fuji Velvia 50 is highly saturated super fine grained film and is used to its fullest potential with fast pro lenses with tack-sharp optics. The same goes for kodak 100vs and you can still get premium results with lesser quality lenses. I think that in a 100 speed E6 film E100s is actually the best choice for aviation photography because it is less saturated and gives very sharp true-to-life colors. But for the ultimate in sharpness, true color representation, and archival keeping, the best choice are Kodak Kodachrome films. The 25 and 64 speed films are both super sharp and give the best color representation that I have seen. I have switched over all of my photography work to these films in the past year and have also been using Kodachrome 200, which can be pushed to ISO 800 if necessary. Now I know a lot of folks will object to Kodachrome on the grounds of availability of processing, and price, but K-14 prosessing is easily obtained with prepaid processing mailers. I understand the objections but the best and longest lasting images come from Kodachrome in mine and many others opinions, so if you are inclined to get the most out of your photography I think K14 is the best way to go.

-widebodyphotog