Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirGirl
Topic Author

Looking For Canon Information

Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:50 am

Hi all,

I am interested in some opinions/experiences with Canon cameras and lenses, particularly the Canon EOS systems.

Does anyone here have one and, if so, what are the advantages/drawbacks to this camera? If possible, please mention exactly which camera and lenses you use.

Thanks in advance....

AirGirl

Jormy

RE: Looking For Canon Information

Fri Mar 17, 2000 4:52 am

Hi!
I bought mine EOS 300 with lenses: EF 28-80mm II f/3.5-5.6 and EF 75-300mm III f/4-5.6 a couple of weeks ago.
I used to have an Olympus OM-40 with 35-80 (Tamron) + 75-200 (Vivitar) lenses.
The reason why I bought this new camera was because I wanted to have a longer zoom (those ~300mm's are really expensive for Olympus), autofocus and a motor-driven film transfer.
Everything has worked fine so far altough I have only photographed a couple of rolls. Picture quality is exellent, I think these EF-lenses are better than my previous lenses. Autofocus is great! Now I can see how slow it was to focus manually. Also motor film transfer is a great help. An example: If I'm shooting planes on finals for some runway I used to have time for maximum of two pictures, but now I have time to take 5-6 (good) pictures of that same aircraft as it flies by.
Light metering in this camera is also great. Shutter speeds can be selected from 30s to 1/2000s and of course there is a bulb-timing. Because winter is very dark time in here (Finland) I have to take a lot of night-photos. My old camera used to take max. 2s shutter speed or else I would have to use bulb-timing. Now I can take very long shots up to 30s (automatically) and sometimes it's even necessary to take very long shots.
The only drawback I can found is that the camera is made of plastic, so it must not get very wet.

-Janne

flyf15

Fri Mar 17, 2000 10:02 am

I have a Canon AT-1. It is a very trusty, well built, simple camera (what I like best!). I'm the second owner for this 20 yearold piece of machinery. It has taken about 100 rolls of its film in its life, with the only repair needed was replacing the foam cushion for the mirror - it was so old it had corroded. From my experience, Canon cameras as a whole are very durable and long lasting ones. The one Canon lens I have is a 50mm, which produces very clear photos.

Canon is a good camera maker, but I don't know about the EOS systems..

tappan

Fri Mar 17, 2000 10:35 am

Canon Auto focus is nice...with the back button focus of my camera.The lenses are nice. But, Nikon is as good.
Mark G.

thomasphoto60

Fri Mar 17, 2000 2:49 pm

I have been using Canon gear since high school and through college. I started with an AE-1 in the late 70s, and I still use Canon equipment to this day. I currently use 2 EOS 1n's, and an EOS 5 (A2E here in the states.) My experince with the EOS 1 line has been very good, sadly I cannot say the same for the EOS 5, recenty the internal spring in the Command dial went belly up (for the 2nd time). I'am planning to replace this camera with another New EOS 1nRS. My lenses consist of an EF 300 2.8L, 20-35 2.8L, 400 5.6, and one of my favourites a 28-105 3.5. I still have an older manual focus F1AE, with a 135mm f2, and 300mmf4.5 lens line up.

With the exception of the EOS 5, I highly recommend
the Canon line up.

n949wp

Command Dial On The EOS 5

Fri Mar 17, 2000 3:06 pm

Several of my friends who uses the EOS 5 encountered the same problem with the command dial. A design fault perhaps?!

thomasphoto60

RE: Command Dial On The EOS 5

Sat Mar 18, 2000 9:35 am

Yeah, even before I had purchased this camera, I was aware of this potential problem. What really angers me, is that this model camera has been on the market for some 5-6 years now, and Canon has done nothing to address the problem. But I still remain a loyal Canon user.

Thomas