Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Will Films Get Damaged By Airport Xray?

Sun Mar 05, 2000 8:23 am

I used to be into photography a long time ago and recently I'm interested in it again thanks to Airliners.Net and this forum.

About 10 years back, it was a real no-no to let your undevelped films to go thru airport x-rays or at least I was told. I always had to remove my lens from the cameras so they can be inspected manually. About 5 years ago at Heathrow airport, security would not let me do that and insisted that I put all of my undeveloped films through the x-ray machine which I did reluctantly. The security man assured me that no harm will be done and he was right or wasn't he? My pictures survived except they were all a bit off in the usual quality I normally get. Since then I never really cared and just send cameras and films through x-ray and not put up with the hassles I used to do.

My question to you all is does airport xrays harm your films in some way? I have never lost a roll directly to xrays but I can't help wonder if quality suffers as a result? Any help is appreciated.

flyf15

RE: Will Films Get Damaged By Airport Xray?

Sun Mar 05, 2000 10:37 am

I've probably sent 75 rolls through security in the last year. Never had a problem, but I've heard the higher speed stuff can (I've never used anything above ASA200)

hawaiian717

Mon Mar 06, 2000 7:04 pm

Normal X-Ray machines reportedly don't cause problems with films of speeds below 1000, so normal stuff like 100, 200, and K64 are fine.

However, the CTX-9000 repotedly will damage all film. This device does an intensive scan of the items put through it. I saw one at LAX, it's huge compared to the normal ones.

I say reportedly because I can't confirm either.

Some photographers have purchased lead packages to protect their film.

Fri Mar 10, 2000 12:00 am

Well, some of the latest Hi Tech X-Ray machines in certain new airport like Kuala Lumpur International Airport will damage your film. When the airport first open at June 1998, Fujifilm and kodak indeed advertised in the Newspaper warning all the visitor to take the films with them and not to put into their luggage. So, just check out from the airport.

Granite

Fri Mar 10, 2000 1:24 am

Hi All

I am always wary about x-ray, so always ask before passing it through. They can hand examine.

Also I bought a lead lined bag before my trip to Australia and Singapore last year and it worked fine.

The bag I have is made in Germany and holds 36 rolls including the plastic container.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

TriStar

Sat Mar 11, 2000 6:33 am

The main thing is to keep your films in your carry on luggage - not your checked luggage. I always take a camera with me on flight (hey, you never know, right?). This means, before a film is complete, it will pass through X-ray at least 30 times. At least. I never had any problem with it.

I hope that shines a bit of light on the subject. X-ray light, as it were. ;-)

Best regards,

TriStar.

Dazed767

Sun Mar 12, 2000 3:17 am

I was in MCO last week, and I read a sign right before I went through the X-Ray that had a warning on it. It said it was safe to put the flim through, but the high speed film (didn't say what speed) would be damaged if sent through.