Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Good/Bad Camera?

Tue Feb 22, 2000 9:34 am

I went shopping around today. I found a couple of cameras that seemed to be pretty good. I saw cameras from Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Olympus. The one that really caught my eye was the Canon. It was a Rebel G 35mm. I think I might buy this one because it falls in my price range. I am also thinking about buying the 75-300mm lense with it.
Is this camera any good? If you have this camera, what are your experiences with it? Will it let me down and fall apart?
Here is what the stores are asking for it...At Best Buy, they are selling it for $349.99 U.S. The 75-300mm lense costs $219.99. So my total comes out to $569.98 U.S. Is this the normal price range for this type of camera? Should I buy the 75-300 lense or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-WiL SW737

n949wp

RE: Good/Bad Camera?

Wed Feb 23, 2000 10:26 pm

The 75-300mm lens is one of the most versatile range for aviation photography. Most photographers I know have something more or less in this zoom range. I guess you won't go wrong with this lens.

Can't comment on the camera though, since I use brand "N". But I have several friends who've been using the model you mentioned (BTW it's called the Canon EOS 500 outside of the US) for the past few years, so it looks like the camera should be quite reliable.

nikonman

Thu Feb 24, 2000 8:53 am

The 70-300 is a great lens. However, IMHO it's a good idea to get a 28-70 or 24-120 lens, to cover the "short" side of things. Like cockpits. Like the 949WP, i cannot comment on the camera, because i shoot the Nikon N & F series, however, Cannon is a good company, and now, when you get your next camera, get a Cannon, and you SHOULD be able to use these lenses.

Regards,

Nikonman

n949wp

Thu Feb 24, 2000 1:11 pm

BTW, does the $349.99 price includes a standard short lens? From what I've seen, this particular camera is often sold as a body-plus-lens package.

flyf15

Thu Feb 24, 2000 1:19 pm

I am here to preach used equipment once again!

I bought a very good Vivitar 70-210/4.5 last year, so far have taken 1500+ pics with it, working perfectly, optically great. Got it in a drug store for $50... now thats shopping around..

Delta15

RE: Good Camera?

Wed Mar 01, 2000 6:51 am

I bought a canon Rebel eos xs at best buy a few months ago. I have taken quite a few rolls with it and theyve all turned out good. It cost me $339 and I got the lens, body, a great bag, a filter, and a cleaning kit all with it. Ive been searching around ebay to find an affordable lens(75-300), but i really havent had any luck.

A. Hemingway
Richmond VA

ben88

Thu Mar 02, 2000 6:06 pm

Depends on the quality of the lens./......generally as the zoom range increases, the lens quality decreases. The f stops on these lenses are in the range of 4.5-6.7 which isnt very wide. When youre at 300mm you have to use a relatively fast shutter speed to prevent blur in the photo. Since the frame is being magnified, the camera must be kept as still as possible. As you increase shutter speed you must let in more light by opening up the aperture, which might not be available on a lens that only opens up to 4.5

The best advice I can give you is to try to keep the zoom range as short as possible. Get a 200-300mm lens if you can find one. Another important side note........An average camera with a great lens is better than a great camera with an average lens. Spend the big bucks on your lenses. I can actually make a recommendation for a camera. The pentax zx-50 is a great starting camera. I own one and love it to death. The body only cost me 180 dollars. I spent the money i saved on good solid lenses. The results are great to say the least.

ben88

Sidenote

Thu Mar 02, 2000 6:13 pm

I also recommend that you purchase a 50mm fixed focal length lens. I use a 20 year old pentax smc-m f1.4 lens. It is constructed completely out of metal, as opposed to newer lenses. It takes better pictures than any of my new lenses. In my opinion a 50mm lens should be in every photographers bag. When you get close enough to the planes to use anything less that 100mm, use a fixed focal length lens, if possible.