Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scanner Help - Please!

Mon Feb 07, 2000 10:20 pm

Can anyone help me by telling me the sort of settings I should be using for my scanner to get quality scans. The scanner is new and is a Black Widow 9636PRO (I think - I'm not at home) I havn't seen the instructions because it's only borrowed (actually belongs to my dad!)

My scans currently are quite blurry and I can't really seem to get the settings right for a crisp scan. When scanning at higer DPIs the scanned image becomes HUGE - thousands of pixels wide - which then has to be reduced - Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? When I reduce the size, it needs sharpening which reduces quality (I'm using Paint Shop Pro)

I would be greatful if you could provide any help or advice to help my scans be as clear as possible. If you want to look at some of my pics you will soon see the problem - only a third of the ones I uploaded got accepted! Search for "James Laverack" there are 13 pictures.

There are so many great photos here, some of mine are quite good but the scans dissapoint - HELP 

Thanks in advance
James

Invader

RE: Scanner Help - Please!

Tue Feb 08, 2000 8:20 am

Have a look at www.scantips.com. It's free !

Dazed767

Try This...

Wed Feb 09, 2000 2:47 am

OK, here is what I do.

1st - I scan it, and preview it.

2nd - When I go to save it, I save it as a really high DPI. Like 700x700 at least (yes it takes up a lot of room, and yes it takes like 5-8 min to upload, but it's worth it)

3rd - Do you have a program like Photoshop etc? I have Corel Photohouse 1.1, and it's the best thing I've used so far. That program came with my printer. To get rid of the blur, I use the sharpen tool, until it looks clear. See if any of this helps.