Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957
Topic Author

Bangkok DMK spotter friendly ?

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 pm

I intend to visit for a day on an upcoming Bangkok trip but have seen reports on plane spotting websites albeit from about a year ago, that the viewing decks inside the departure terminals have no photography / no recording notices around, and dirty glass.
Still the case ?
Thanks for any recent info.

TheEuphorian

Re: Bangkok DMK spotter friendly ?

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 pm

DMK itself isn't very interesting to spot, since all you are going to find are generic A320/737 with random 77E/A333 and nothing else. Unless you are talking about the cargo apron, but that is off limits.

jupiter2

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
DMK itself isn't very interesting to spot, since all you are going to find are generic A320/737 with random 77E/A333 and nothing else. Unless you are talking about the cargo apron, but that is off limits.

It's not just aircraft types, but the airlines operating them, most of which wouldn't be seen at BKK.

KICT

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I mean, who doesn't want to shoot pictures of derelict A340-500s?
A photo flight in a heli above DMK would be amazing.
Surprise it hasn't been done yet.

scbriml

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:05 pm

KICT wrote:
I mean, who doesn't want to shoot pictures of derelict A340-500s?
A photo flight in a heli above DMK would be amazing.
Surprise it hasn't been done yet.

DMK is a dual-use airport with a significant military base including the Thai VIP fleet. I imagine it would be a significant challenge to authorise a such a flight.

Riorei

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:26 am

I was there last week, no sign of the photography banned signs. Airside there are good views in the international departures area.

dcaviation

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 pm

In April last year they had signs No Photography at both observation decks. Some spotters were kicked out after being interrogated for few hours. I was there 1 week later and didn't see any signs. I just kept low profile.
I personally never had a problem with spotting at DMK. That place is pretty busy with all the special AirAsia 320s and other local airlines.
What you will see at DMK you will not see at BKK. Now Thai Smile completely moved out of DMK back to BKK.
If you like military planes then you can get nice shots from the gazebo around the pond on the approach. That spot is good only in the morning 6am to noon. After that you can move to the terminal's observation deck (North deck is better if it comes to the pictures).

TC957
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 pm

My day there recently went without a hitch, didn't see any " no photo " signs at all, no one bothered me spotting....and a cleaner was going around cleaning the windows. Interesting airport, was busier than I expected. I didn't venture out from the air conditioned viewing areas, but would have loved a tour around that airport.

Barbro

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm

On observation deck I never had any trbl. Been there three or four times.
Around the finals: on the east side (for RYWs 21) you'll be so far out of the airport that nobody cares. On the west side, there's a nice place next to the hangars, but twice I was thrown out by the police, once they didn't care. So a game of chance.