Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bdavid
Topic Author

Wrong doing accusation

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 am

Good day everyone,

I've been in Airliners for a long time now. Although for a long period I did not upload any images, I always followed and visited the site and the photos. I'm an airline pilot with great enthusiasm for photography and community relations in general, and yesterday something I never expected happened and I wanted to share here since I'm not getting any replies from Airliners anymore.

I was revisiting photos from last year and, by mistake, uploaded an image that is already in the database. The file was in the wrong folder in my computer, it ended up being uploaded as if it was part of a shoot some day. It got rejected, of course, and I would totally understand that, if it wasn't for a very specific personal message directed to me from the screener, as follows:

"Please do not date change for accepting photos. Your photo of TC-JOL refers."

I find this accusation very disturbing, simply because there would be absolutely no benefit on getting an image accepted that is already in the database. I was oficially warned by Airliners, as if I had done something to trick the system. Airliners said it's standard procedure. A standard procedure, in my view, would come without a personal message directed to accuse me of doing something.

I asked Airliners to comment on this, no response so far and, of course, no appologies from the screener.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

airkas1

Re: Wrong doing accusation

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 am

Hi Bruno,

You received a reply 12 minutes after you sent your E-mail to us. And you acknowledge this in your post, since you said that we said it's standard procedure. So to say that you did not receive a response is a false accusation towards us. Unless you mean that you sent the screener in question a reply to that, but did not include anyone else in the CC. In that case, it's been less then a day. You can't expect someone to be all over his E-mail all day long and replying at your convenience (also keep in mind timezones). So I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by making this a public case.

You did mess up, but the HS have reviewed your case. Just because someone doesn't receive a message, doesn't mean we are not doing stuff behind the scenes. Our review resulted in the decision to strike this warning, as we feel it was harsh to give an official warning in this case. But please be more careful in the future.

bdavid wrote:
I find this accusation very disturbing, simply because there would be absolutely no benefit on getting an image accepted that is already in the database. I was oficially warned by Airliners, as if I had done something to trick the system.

You would be surprised how many people try to cheat the system. Just the other day, we caught someone who actually altered (Photoshopped) registrations in his photos to get away with the double rule. So while for you it may seem disturbing, for us it's having to be very watchful, everyday.

bdavid
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 am

Hello

Yes you are right, I received a "just disregard the warning" message, but no replies to my questions neighter an acknowledgement that pointing fingers first before carefully checking what happened is a bad way to deal about this (email sent to the person who replied to my query). Since I got such a quick reply in 12 minutes, I did expect to have my questions answered in the same fashion.

By making this public, I'm trying to gather thoughts on this topic, as I find what happened kinda disrespectful to say the least. So at least it raises awareness.

And the fact that you have to constanly watch out for people trying to trick the system is not what I found to be disturbing, I think that's what's right. Was the act of accusing me of doing so that was disturbing, as if I was trying to upload a rejected image, which is not the case. So saying that I was trying to trick the screener is nonsense, the photo is already in the database and I would get absolutely no benefit in doing this.

Regards

airkas1

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Bruno,

bdavid wrote:
but no replies to my questions neighter an acknowledgement that pointing fingers first before carefully checking what happened is a bad way to deal about this (email sent to the person who replied to my query). Since I got such a quick reply in 12 minutes, I did expect to have my questions answered in the same fashion.

Yes, so you were depentdent on 1 person to answer your question (who is in a whole different timezone), instead of the entire screening crew. Although I understand and can relate to your expectation, it's based on an incorrect assumption and it would be unfair to blame us for nothing having responded yet. And we do know what happened; someone uploaded a photo they already had accepted, but now the date is different.

bdavid wrote:
Was the act of accusing me of doing so that was disturbing, as if I was trying to upload a rejected image, which is not the case. So saying that I was trying to trick the screener is nonsense, the photo is already in the database and I would get absolutely no benefit in doing this.

You know that you're not trying to pull tricks, but in general we have no idea if a person did something on purpose or not. If it were me, I would've rejected the photo for double, with a personal message saying "You already have this photo accepted. Do not try to avoid the double rule by changing dates. Repeating this behaviour may result in an upload suspension". Would you find that offensive too? It's basically the same message.

bdavid
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am

How about "The photo is already in the database." Period.

You too would have assumed I was trying to fool you, which is exactly my point. The bias in believing that everyone is trying to trick you and then shooting warnings without actually checking, especially when you're talking about a photo that is already in the database and not someone trying to get some rejected photo by changing whatever detail about it. Yes it is offensive, and very impolite. Again I have to ask, what would I gain in uploading the same photo to the website with a different date?

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:00 pm

bdavid wrote:
Any thoughts?

bdavid wrote:
By making this public, I'm trying to gather thoughts on this topic

My thought: you are making a giant mountain out of a tiny molehill.

From the screeners' perspective, it is a reasonable assumption that you tried to change the date and upload it again. Uploaders do really nonsensical things, for whatever reason. And, if asked, said uploaders would of course deny it and state it was simply a mistake.

In the life of an A.net uploader, your case is no big deal at all. You're not even getting a warning.

You can consider it disrespectful, or you can just say, "oops, I made a mistake, I'll be more careful in the future" and move on with your day.

JakTrax

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm

I can't believe people would actually try to alter a reg. just to garner a few extra views - is this what it's come to now? Pathetic.

Karl