Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WN732
Topic Author

Best Cameras for Aviation Photography and Videos

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:34 am

I've been wanting to get into creating trip reports on YouTube. I would like to do a combination of photos and videos but I'd like to stick to a single camera if I could. What are your thoughts on some good cameras I could buy?

ThePointblank

Re: Best Cameras for Aviation Photography and Videos

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 am

If you are more interested in video than stills, and value compactness, the Panasonic GH5 should be on the top of your list.

It's a Micro Four-Thirds mirrorless camera, so it's smaller in general compared to other cameras, has in-body stabilization, and records in over-sampled 4k 60p, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording, with optional V-LogL support. Articulated rear touch screen display means you can flip it around so you can monitor the video feed. It also has a headphone jack for monitoring audio, plus a mic jack for external microphones.

superjeff

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:01 pm

WN732 wrote:
I've been wanting to get into creating trip reports on YouTube. I would like to do a combination of photos and videos but I'd like to stick to a single camera if I could. What are your thoughts on some good cameras I could buy?

You might want to look into a Canon GX7 or GX9 which is optimized for vlogging. Smaller than the 4/3 format and yet it takes good video.

WN732
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:07 pm

superjeff wrote:
WN732 wrote:

You might want to look into a Canon GX7 or GX9 which is optimized for vlogging. Smaller than the 4/3 format and yet it takes good video.

Thanks, I did a little research on that one, plus some youtube vids, and it stands up pretty well for the small price tag.

CaptnSnow71

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 am

As a followup to this, to prevent creating a new post, anyone have a good recommendation for camera for pretty much the same purpose as the OP, but around the $200-$300 range?