Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kaphias
Topic Author

iPhone XS - Smart HDR, Depth Slider

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Will photos from the new iPhone XS be acceptable here, considering the use of computational photography to create effects such as Smart HDR and the Depth Slider?

Kaphias
Topic Author

Re: iPhone XS - Smart HDR, Depth Slider

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 am

Still looking for an answer on this... thanks.

Runway28L

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 am

I'm very curious about this too. Not that I would start taking pics with it and upload them to here...

I just did a report about the new smartphone cameras vs DSLRs and it seems like a lot of photographers say that DSLRs are still superior in terms of quality and customizing settings to specific conditions despite the manufacturers vastly improving the cameras built into phones.

TS-IOR

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:19 am

AFAIK equipment has never been restricted to fancy DSLRs here, you can find many smartphone photos on the database. It's all about the edit which should give a satisfactory rendering.

airkas1

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 am

Kaphias wrote:

I'm not familair with the photos it takes or what the result is when taking such photos. Show me an 'A.net ready' edit and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

TS-IOR wrote:
AFAIK equipment has never been restricted to fancy DSLRs here, you can find many smartphone photos on the database. It's all about the edit which should give a satisfactory rendering.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:18 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:

I'm not familair with the photos it takes or what the result is when taking such photos. Show me an 'A.net ready' edit and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

TS-IOR wrote:

I'll give it a go, provided someone funds the acquisition of that phone! :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

That thing is very expensive!

Kaphias
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 am

airkas1 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:

I don't own one... still on my iPhone 6, will probably upgrade next gen.

airkas1 wrote:
TS-IOR wrote:

It's not all about the result, though - if it was, stacks (HDR, light trails, etc.) would be allowed. I asked about the iPhone XS because it relies heavily on computational photography, that is, combining multiple exposures (even from multiple cameras with different focal lengths on the same phone!) to produce a final image. Does the fact that it does this automatically (as opposed to manually in Photoshop) make photos from it acceptable here?

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 pm

I used my old Iphone 5s few years ago. In 2016 Zhuhai Airshow, i used it to to take a static ground plane and uploaded with the edited version which looks not bad actually. But i found that if U wanna use a phone to take photos which will be uploaded here later, It would be better to avoid using Zoom Up function which will hurt the quality dramatically (For most of phones). However, i still prefer DSLRs Images and quality ;)

If the image was processed by the phone automatically to HDR version which is not allowed in A.net i think.

Kaphias
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:32 am

Would still appreciate some direction on this subject (even if it's, "we haven't discussed this yet").

The future of photography is code. With the latest release of smartphones, that future is here, now.

Thanks again.

airkas1

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:49 am

We haven't discussed this yet.

:biggrin:

But I've sent a link to this thread to the HS and I'll report back once I know more.

Kaphias
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:52 am

airkas1 wrote:
We haven't discussed this yet.

:biggrin:

But I've sent a link to this thread to the HS and I'll report back once I know more.

Appreciate all you do, sir. Sorry for pestering. :veryhappy:

airkas1

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Does "it's fine if the end result looks natural" help?
With natural being a common sense natural look.

Kaphias
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 am

airkas1 wrote:

Of course, and I wouldn't expect (or ask for) anything less. But as I said previously (quoted below), the methods used to produce these images from the iPhone XS (combining multiple exposures) are not allowed here.
If we say that it is the result that matters, not the method, then will other forms of multiple-exposure photos be allowed, such as out-of-camera HDR, panoramas, and/or light trail stacks?

Kaphias wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
TS-IOR wrote:

It's not all about the result, though - if it was, stacks (HDR, light trails, etc.) would be allowed. I asked about the iPhone XS because it relies heavily on computational photography, that is, combining multiple exposures (even from multiple cameras with different focal lengths on the same phone!) to produce a final image. Does the fact that it does this automatically (as opposed to manually in Photoshop) make photos from it acceptable here?

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm

airkas1 wrote:

Will that same criteria apply to DSLR and other camera composites?

I do HDRs occasionally, and stacks for light trails, and they generally look pretty natural. I don't upload them on principle, but if we're going to accept them from phones...

Thanks.

airkas1

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:06 pm

It's currently being discussed, will get back once I have more info :)

Kaphias
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 pm

airkas1 wrote:
It's currently being discussed, will get back once I have more info :)

Still under discussion? Might need an answer soon...

airkas1

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm

I had to look up the E-mail thread and it still comes down to 'the end result has to look natural'. So I interpret that as HDR photos may be acceptable, but we will not open the gates for stacks/panoramas.

Kaphias
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 am

airkas1 wrote:
I had to look up the E-mail thread and it still comes down to 'the end result has to look natural'. So I interpret that as HDR photos may be acceptable, but we will not open the gates for stacks/panoramas.

Thanks. Disappointing. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll ask again down the line and hope that the HS come around eventually.