Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

journalist75
Topic Author

France 24 news story on plane spotting at BRU (Brussels)

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Wassim Cornet, I'm a Belgian journalist working for the France 24 news channel in Paris.

I'm currently working on a TV report on plane spotters, and how different airports have different attitudes towards spotters. I've already met with French spotters at CDG, and I'd like to do some filming at Brussels Airport, to showcase the new observation platforms and how it has made the hobby so much easier.

I will be traveling to BRU next Tuesday or Wednesday (18th or 19th Sept., depending on the weather), and I'll be spending a few hours in the morning at the observation platforms. I've already secured an interview with an airport spokesperson, but obviously the most important thing is to make sure that there is a sufficient amount of people at the platforms to talk to and to make the story visually interesting.

What are the chances of finding spotters at BRU on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning? Are any of you planning on being at the airport on one of those days, or do you know anyone who will be there? I would be interested in filming a few spotters doing their hobby, watching planes, taking pictures of them, and asking a few questions such as "tell us a bit more about your hobby", "how have these new platforms changed things for you", or "how important is it for the airport to recognize the spotter community".

France 24 may be a French channel but we also have a channel in English so by all means, we can do the questions in English, too :)

Feel free to contact me here, on Twitter (@WassimCornet), or via email: wcornet@france24.com

Thanks for reading and I hope to meet some of you next week at Brussels Airport!

JakTrax

Re: France 24 news story on plane spotting at BRU (Brussels)

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Wassim,

I'm UK-based but I can tell you with some degree of certainty that a quick glimpse at the weather forecast for the days you intend to be at BRU will give you some indication as to whether anyone will be around. BRU is home to a good number of enthusiasts/photographers - if it's anything like my local, MAN, there will be people around whatever the weather, but of course it's the sunshine that really brings us out in force!

Good luck with your project - anything that can help spread our hobby and offer suspicious people an insight into our activities is to be lauded. Some airports (BRU included) have even realised that having enthusiasts around provides an extra security presence. What we do is fun, extremely social and can be very rewarding!

Karl

journalist75
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey Karl,

Thanks so much for your info. I was also told by a few local spotters that it was likely there would be more people on Wednesday afternoon (no school for most on Wednesday afternoons in Belgium!) I definitely did check the latest weather models and it looks like Wednesday might be the pick of the two.

And thank you for your words of encouragement! As mentioned in the original post, I did some filming at CDG and wanted to provide some insight into how different airports "deal" with the spotter community. CDG has some very stringent security procedures, but BRU has taken a completely different approach, which is going to be part of the story.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Wassim

jelpee

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:51 pm

That's great that you're doing a story on this subject. If you would be so kind as to post a link to the video clip of your story I ( and others as well I'm sure) would be interested.

Jehan