Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fsx98
Topic Author

Plane Spotting in EWR and OAK Terminals

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi everyone! My trip to NYC and California are coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll be flying to EWR to stay at NYC for a few days, and eventually in the Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, etc.) for another few days, both in which are visits to my relatives' and in California, a wedding that I will be attending. I'll be flying out of STL to EWR, then EWR to OAK, and finally OAK back to STL; because I will only be plane-spotting from the terminals inside EWR and OAK (on days when I fly out of EWR and eventually OAK), I will not be plane-spotting anywhere else outside the properties of these mentioned airports (especially EWR, where I know that EWR is not spotter-friendly and that security is a very major concern). I would like to put a dent on more UA and WN aircraft, and many other airlines, as much of my jetliner photos on a.net are AA. Any advice in regards to plane spotting inside the terminals from EWR and OAK? I am open to any opinions based on experiences as well!

dutchspotter1

Re: Plane Spotting in EWR and OAK Terminals

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 am

I'm sorry to say, but spotting from inside terminals usually does not result in A.net quality photos as you will always have to shoot through windows.

fsx98
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:45 am

dutchspotter1 wrote:
I'm sorry to say, but spotting from inside terminals usually does not result in A.net quality photos as you will always have to shoot through windows.

Based from my experiences, I usually never have any problems shooting through windows, but it would be a matter of avoiding reflections from inside the terminal as well as using the correct ISO settings and even dealing with heat haze, as well as which airport I'm plane spotting from. But yes, some of the edited photos uploaded to a.net that were taken from various airport terminals (including ones from DFW, SEA, STL), if not all (as some did got accepted), got rejected due to one or more of the following: heat haze, noise, grain, or otherwise quality.

fsx98
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I would like to add something I haven't explained further in detail in this thread: I knew that from reading other posts about spotting near EWR, it is generally not a spotter-friendly airport when it comes to spotting at other locations nearby, such as IKEA, as various authorities, such as the PANYNJ, can be hostile and intolerant of aviation photography. I don't know much about spotting inside OAK, as this will be my first time flying into OAK. Any advice on plane-spotting inside the terminals of EWR and OAK, in terms of security?

Redbellyguppy

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 am

I wouldn’t expect to be able to do very well from the SWA terminal in Oakland. The end of the terminal has no windows facing the runway because of the entrance to the gate 32 jetway. Alaska gates, perhaps better. You might could uber to Horatio’s for lunch and if you bring a big lens get decent pics from there?

fsx98
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:40 am

Redbellyguppy wrote:
I wouldn’t expect to be able to do very well from the SWA terminal in Oakland. The end of the terminal has no windows facing the runway because of the entrance to the gate 32 jetway. Alaska gates, perhaps better. You might could uber to Horatio’s for lunch and if you bring a big lens get decent pics from there?

I have a morning flight out of OAK so it's highly unlikely that I would be Ubering anywhere for lunch; I have a decent 18-300mm lens to bring for plane spotting while I wait for the flight; thanks for the tips, though!

fsx98
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi everyone! I have recently returned from my NY/CA trip last night and had an opportunity to edit some of the photos from the trip; so far, I had one photo priority screened as it was the first photo for that particular registration and got accepted that same night! Here it is below:

I didn't plane spot from EWR's Terminal A, as the reflection of the interior ceiling lights make plane spotting difficult (if not impossible), and that this terminal does not have good views of the planes taking off and land; I did however manage to plane spot aircraft stuck on the taxiway while waiting for departure to OAK as a result of traffic/weather delay at EWR. As for plane spotting from OAK's Terminal 2, I did plane spot a few aircraft, despite difficulties from window reflections inside the terminal.

Of these photos, one photo, as mentioned above, was accepted and was taken from inside OAK; I will edit more photos and post more of these photos as they are accepted into the a.net database.

fsx98
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Here are the first few photos from EWR accepted to the database: