Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xaapb
Topic Author

LAX late August spotting.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Good morning everyone,

I'm travelling next week to Los Angeles from the 21st to the 28th of August, and I know you can take good photograhps from the little park near the In n Out burgers however I don't like takeing pictures from there.

So I was wondering if the police stops often to ask questions about what I'm doing, are they polite or they can be rude? I'm even planning to bring a special jacket that said Aviation Photography of Mexico as well as my Passport or at least a copy of it.

My other question is how good is the light in the morning to take photographs from Imperial Hill, would you recommend it or only stick to Westchester in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Greetings!

Jorge Meneses.

bw50505

Re: LAX late August spotting.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Imperial Hill is a well known, popular, and dedicated spotting location, so you shouldn't have any problems with police (and you will most likely be amongst at least a dozen other spotters at any given time).

As for the lighting, I know stuff started to get slightly backlit later in the afternoon from Imperial when I've gone in late July, but late August you might be fine there.

If you aren't already, I also recommend joining the Los Angeles Spotters page on FB. Enjoy your trip!

vikkyvik

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Spotting locations and how good they are:

Imperial Hill:
Early morning - backlit.
Mid morning (say 8 to 9) - light should be OK, heat haze is questionable.
Late morning thru afternoon (say 10 to 4 PM) - heat haze central! Light is mediocre; mostly toplit.
Evening - still moderate heat haze, and light starts getting bad.
Past 5 PM or so - backlit.

Westchester:
Early morning - good.
7:30 AM through 5 PM - backlit, with heat haze through the middle of the day (though not as bad as at Imperial Hill).
Evening - great.

In'n'Out is about the same, lighting-wise, as Westchester.

You won't have any issues with police at Imperial Hill or the In'n'Out. I've had police come up to me twice at Westchester. Once he literally just asked me how it was going, and asked if I'd caught the F-18s earlier in the day (apparently there were F-18s there earlier in the day). The 2nd time, someone must have called them, because they asked me a bunch of police-type questions. They were perfectly polite, but it was highly unnecessary, especially since I was just leaving for the night. Overall no big deal.

xaapb
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm

bw50505 wrote:
Imperial Hill is a well known, popular, and dedicated spotting location, so you shouldn't have any problems with police (and you will most likely be amongst at least a dozen other spotters at any given time).

As for the lighting, I know stuff started to get slightly backlit later in the afternoon from Imperial when I've gone in late July, but late August you might be fine there.

If you aren't already, I also recommend joining the Los Angeles Spotters page on FB. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the information bw50505, I try joining the LA Spotters page on FB, still waiting to be accepted.

vikkyvik wrote:
Spotting locations and how good they are:

Imperial Hill:
Early morning - backlit.
Mid morning (say 8 to 9) - light should be OK, heat haze is questionable.
Late morning thru afternoon (say 10 to 4 PM) - heat haze central! Light is mediocre; mostly toplit.
Evening - still moderate heat haze, and light starts getting bad.
Past 5 PM or so - backlit.

Westchester:
Early morning - good.
7:30 AM through 5 PM - backlit, with heat haze through the middle of the day (though not as bad as at Imperial Hill).
Evening - great.

In'n'Out is about the same, lighting-wise, as Westchester.

You won't have any issues with police at Imperial Hill or the In'n'Out. I've had police come up to me twice at Westchester. Once he literally just asked me how it was going, and asked if I'd caught the F-18s earlier in the day (apparently there were F-18s there earlier in the day). The 2nd time, someone must have called them, because they asked me a bunch of police-type questions. They were perfectly polite, but it was highly unnecessary, especially since I was just leaving for the night. Overall no big deal.

Great information vikkyvik thank you very much, with that in mind I can start planning my two or three days of spotting a LAX!

Greetings!!

L1011dal

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I was at In & Out a few weeks ago. Shouldn't have any problems, everyone it taking pics/video there. The In & Out parking lot says "In & Out Parking Only" so perhaps at certain times parking along the road can be an issue. Maybe buy a drink or food if an issue. I was able to video a Korean A380 and Virgin Atlantic 787 is a short time had a great time there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1jYAgntHo

fsx98

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am

I was at LA for a little R&R trip last month; I did plane spot a few locations, mainly Imperial Hill and In-N-Out Burger; did encountered some police passing by but never stopped me for questioning; plane-spotted in the morning hours of May 18th and 20th; unfortunately didn't have any luck so far with Imperial Hill, as heat haze and backlighting are main issues (I did attempted upload photos - none would be accepted to a.net so far); I did had better luck at the nearby In-N-Out Burger; of the photos taken near In-N-Out as of 6/19/19, only one (an Alaska A319) made it into the a.net and JP database:

The plane spotting trip at LAX wasn't a complete loss, but I wish I had another opportunity to plane-spot at Imperial Hill during the afternoon hours and spot more varieties of jetliners and even get more photos accepted into the a.net database. I also wanted to go to the Westchester Park during the morning hours, but did had some trouble getting directions there. But overall, it was a relaxing and fun plane spotting trip while it lasted.