JakTrax
Topic Author

Photography at PER & SYD

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Perth in May 2019 to visit a friend, but will also have plenty of time to do some photography. There appear to be some pretty decent spots, however my favourite shots are side-ons, up close and wide-angle - are there any spots that will accommodate this?

I'm also looking at travelling across to SYD, however to be worth it I'd be again looking for spots relatively close to the action.

I'm fine with ground or air shots, and prefer to shoot early mornings and evenings, when the sun's at its best.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Karl

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Re: Photography at PER & SYD

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:03 am

Hi Karl

Can't speak for PER as it's been 3 or 4 years since I was last there and things might have changed. As for SYD if you want to get close to the action the mound is the best with aircraft taxiing to and from 16L/34R right in front of you and you will also get all the action from 16R/34L the only problem with this spot is some inconvenient light poles but you'll still get good shots like this;

There is also the boat ramp for good runway shots of both runways. For the afternoon there is Kyeemagh Beach and the parking lot there or some rocky headlands you can walk out on that fisherman use. That's best for when the 34s are in use and there is the carpark at the international terminal if it's the 16s in use.

Hope that helps

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

cpd

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 am

PanAm_DC10 wrote:
Hi Karl

Can't speak for PER as it's been 3 or 4 years since I was last there and things might have changed. As for SYD if you want to get close to the action the mound is the best with aircraft taxiing to and from 16L/34R right in front of you and you will also get all the action from 16R/34L the only problem with this spot is some inconvenient light poles but you'll still get good shots like this;

Paul

There was some talk that those inconvenient light posts might be removed (or reduced in height) last I heard, that might have changed though. The location is a good one being elevated. And people despite that do use a ladder to get even higher.

JakTrax wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Perth in May 2019 to visit a friend, but will also have plenty of time to do some photography. There appear to be some pretty decent spots, however my favourite shots are side-ons, up close and wide-angle - are there any spots that will accommodate this?

Close up you'll be probably wanting to go to the spot near the new tower (photo above). Otherwise I'm going to dig into my very old archives to find these spots:

Domestic Terminal upper level loop road:
For the above, I went to the upper level roadway between the Virgin Australia and Qantas terminal buildings (it is like a loop road). At the end of that loop road nearest the runway, there were some stairs you could stand near and get a superb view of the runway. Mornings only normally with the light behind you. But night time was also decent if you like doing panning photos.

In the mornings, there is a little lookout just off Foreshore Drive Botany (Port Botany boat ramp) where you can get shots like this:

With a longer range lens (500mm on Nikon DX format should work) you can get shots like this:

There is a bridge over the roadway that used to be good for shots like this, but it may be obscured by the extensions to Port Botany now. I've not been there in years, this was 7 years ago:

From the fishing spot near the beach mentioned in the above post, consider staying later into dusk and provided the clouds don't obscure the setting sun too much, you can get some amazing light:

Another place I like is further along from the beach up near that fish and chip shop:
On full frame cameras you need a big lens to photograph from there, 500mm. But with a crop format camera and those superzooms (eg 150-500mm or similar) it should work. Advantage is elevated a bit more and very different angle to usual. The QF shot was taken from the corner of Bestic Street and The Grand Parade.

Another hidden spot that I like is from the domestic terminal car park, but it won't get you your favourite side ons. It isn't an official spotting location, but it can work. I never stayed there too long, just quickly get the shots I wanted and then out of there. If you have enough reach from your lens and a clear day, you can get shots like this:

You have to be on the right level of the car park, mornings only - the light at other times won't work. That was a long time ago. But it gets a very different looking shot to normal, you can see right out to Botany Bay. Another great location is the top level of the international terminal car park. That is for afternoon or early evening photos. You'll get lovely elevated shots with the Sydney skyline in the background.

The international terminal observation deck is sadly closed, so that great location is gone. :( Sadly, a lot of the close up locations are gone now. Those are all the spots I know of.

I haven't been to Perth, so I can't say much about that.

qf789

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am

For Perth the 2 areas photographers use the most is the viewing deck at T1 (access via escalators to departure area then either use the lift or steps to get the viewing deck) and the Public Viewing area at the southern end of runway 21 which is best in the afternoon. Depending on which runway is being used, if runway 3 you will get all the arrivals plus some departures but just take into account that the east coast domestic flights will take off on runway 6 and other domestic flights going up north don't use full length. If runway 21 is used you will get all departures, arrivals will use either runway 21 or 24. Also take into consideration in bad weather the public viewing area is closed.

You can also access the domestic terminals, Qantas and Jetstar at T3/4 and Virgin at T1, both are easily accessible. As the Virgin terminal is an extension of the International terminal if you want to get a shot of aircraft at Gate 50 (this is a swing gate) you can get close ups from the Virgin end, in my opinion this is better as from the viewing deck it ends at gate 52 and you have to contend with light poles and shots can be difficult to get right. Another thing from the Virgin Domestic terminal if you want to get a photo of the all gates and ramp full you need to do it at 5am. As soon as you clear security and pass the lounge the first gate on your left is gate 43, when you get to this gate you get a view of the T1/T2 domestic ramp, gates from the Virgin end are 43,44,45,46,47A and 47B which are directly in front of you, to the left you have Terminal 2 with gates 201-209 plus there will normally be anywhere between 4-6 aircraft on remote bays as well. Most of this will be filled with F100's early morning so please note that this entire area which accommodates at least 20 aircraft is empty by around 7am.

When it comes to international carriers most flights happen at 3 different times, early morning rush 530-730am, afternoon (first arrival around midday though to about 6pm) and late night rush (normally 10pm-130am). Gates 50 and 51 are the A388 gates, QR uses 50 and EK 51. Normally Air Mauritius uses gate 50, South African 52, Air New Zealand 53/54, SQ (50/51), TG (51), CX (51) just to name a few. If you want to catch South African or Air New Zealand at the gate you need to get there when they arrived as they get towed shortly after arrival.

I have found T3/T4 not to be as friendly for photos but you can get some close ups.

You may also find the following helpful for photography

http://www.aviationwa.org.au/
Forum Moderator

ChrisLait

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 am

I was able to spend a little bit of time in Perth recently and was lucky enough to get some photography in around my work commitments. The public viewing area is good as it’s at the end of the runway however I wouldn’t recommend it in the morning as all my shots were directly (or indirectly) affected by the morning sunrise which is opposite the viewing platform. In “normal” daylight it’s great for arrivals and departures.

I was there in winter so the sun goes down pretty quick. Even something like the QF 9 Dreamliner that arrives just after 5 was difficult to shoot. Moving into summer the sun is up longer so shouldn’t be a major issue.

Also be aware that they do close the viewing platform with security coming to move everyone on and and the opening hours vary depending on what month it is. Summer is open longer than winter.

Overall it’s a great spot, as long as you are in good light.

Happy shooting :)

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm

I responded yesterday, thanking everyone and adding a few further details, however my post appears to have been deleted?

Karl

johnr

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:06 am

Don’t drink the water when you get to Sydney Karl....you’ve been warned.

jupiter2

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm

johnr wrote:
Don’t drink the water when you get to Sydney Karl....you’ve been warned.

Do tell why ? What have I been doing wrong all my life ?

Flightsimboy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:54 am

This was shot in Sydney....???

cpd

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 am

Flightsimboy wrote:

Yes, it certainly was shot in Sydney, taken from the steps at the end of the roadway between the Virgin and Qantas domestic terminals.

An orchestra has to fly around somehow. :)
Last edited by cpd on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flightsimboy

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:06 am

cpd wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:

Yes, it certainly was shot in Sydney, taken from the steps at the end of the roadway between the Virgin and Qantas domestic terminals.

Wow...why was Lufthansa in Sydney? The only spot I have been to is by the fence at the beach. Will keep your recommendations for when I visit next.

cpd

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:16 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
cpd wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:

Wow...why was Lufthansa in Sydney? The only spot I have been to is by the fence at the beach. Will keep your recommendations for when I visit next.

Edited my post before - a German orchestra flew in. A 747-400 is nothing special back in 2010, but Lufthansa 5016 is when they don't normally fly here.

The beach spot is pretty boring, done to death. I reckon you might do better to try the top level of the international terminal car park, provided runway 16 right landings and takeoffs are happening. It is much more elevated and you'll get a more interesting background.