kann123air
Topic Author

LHR Thistle hotel spotting

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

Back in 2015, I spotted extensively at LHR and spent many hours at the Thistle Hotel. I'm headed back there for one night next month (8/16) and am staying at the hotel, but I just read that photography is no longer permitted on the terrace. Has anyone tried to take pictures there since this new rule was instituted? Just wondering how strictly it's enforced.

Also, if anyone is planning to spot LHR on the evening of the 16th, I'd love to meet up. I'm transiting through (arriving 11:30 on BA36 from MAA and departing 09:15 the next morning on AA51 to DFW), and I fully intend on spending that evening spotting. It would be great to meet up with someone.

Thanks,
Amrit Kannan
Going for great

Waelalqutub

Re: LHR Thistle hotel spotting

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello Kann123air,
Please note that Thistle Hotel Spotting is allowed only if your a guest at the hotel or visiting the bar purchasing food or drink as a member of the public.
Before they used to allow spotters to take pictures without the need of buying anything from the bar however recently some kids decided to grab some meal from McDonald's and bring them along with them into the terrace, not only that but those folks decided to leave their rubbish behind too!
Anyhow since then they have stopped members of the public to gain access but if you're going in as a guest or buying something from the bar then its fine, I personally haven't had a problem couple of months ago since I bought myself a drink and chips :) they were very welcoming
I hope this helps.

All the best

Wael.