Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kixx
Topic Author

First "decent" lens.. now what..

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi,

So as the title explains I just bought myself a new lens. Purchased on the fact that my old 75-300 wasn't cutting the mustard when it came to the longer shots. I always found I was having to look at heavily cropping the images ECT ECT..

So, I went out and got a Sigma 170-500. I'm very much a novice when it comes to photography and just do enough to get by at times. So I've taken a few shots to try it out and I've noticed a lot are no where near as sharp and crisp as I would like. What should I be doing to help better my chances? First thing I think I need is a better tripod or monopod to help ease the wobble. Camera is only canon eos 1100d nothing super fancy and most of the time I find myself using shutter priority and nit straying too far from that.

Thanks!

clickhappy

Re: First "decent" lens.. now what..

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I believe there is an old rule about double the shutter speed of your focal length - so at 150mm you should be at a minimum of 1/300 of a second. OS should be worth a little here, but it sounds like you need some seat time to polish your technique. I would look to do some sunny day shooting - shoot in aperture priority (f/8) and let the camera set the shutter speed. As a consumer lens past 300mm your images aren't going to be perfect, but with some practice you should up your keep rate.

dazbo5

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Kixx,

I would also add heat haze to clickhappy's post. Long lenses and shooting at long range in summer are prone to distortion through the effects of heat haze. You'll need to be as close to your subject as you can until the air is cleaner. That's assuming you are in the northern hemisphere currently.

Darren

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:31 am

I can only agree with both posts.
Be aware that on a crop sensor body your lense is the equivalent of something like 260-800mm. I think for aviation photography you could only use that enormous range (in terms of quality shots) on a clear wintersday (as Darren said), other than doing some sort of detail shots perhaps.

I think other than for static objects one couldn't really use a tripod for planespotting, but if you don't go too low on shutterspeeds you shouldn't need it at all. As Royal said on a sunny day even with ISO100 and f8 you'll be at something fast enough anyway.

Julien

kixx
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Ideal thanks guys I'll give aperture priority a go and see how I get on, first airshow with the
New lens on Saturday hopefully so that should give me plenty of time to have a play and see what comes out of it.

dazbo5

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Kixx,

I use the 50-500 and find f/10 is slightly sharper than f/8 so have an experiment and see what works best for you. Enjoy the airshow.

Darren