Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JA8088
Topic Author

Upload question: Current US military registration

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 am

Dear all,

I have a serious question now: upon yesterday spotting at KPAE, i found out the US air force no longer use the XX-XXXX registration format, which we observed for decades. The new registration is just XXXXX. So when filling out the registration field, do I need to convert the XXXXX into XX-XXXX or just XXXX?

Thanks in advance!

vikkyvik

Re: Upload question: Current US military registration

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 am

JA8088 wrote:
Dear all,

I have a serious question now: upon yesterday spotting at KPAE, i found out the US air force no longer use the XX-XXXX registration format, which we observed for decades. The new registration is just XXXXX. So when filling out the registration field, do I need to convert the XXXXX into XX-XXXX or just XXXX?

Thanks in advance!

If the reg is truly a 5-digit XXXXX reg, then upload that. But if it's the 5-digit number on the tail, then those are usually shortened versions of the XX-XXXX regs.

For example, the C-17 with 40068 on the tail is reg 94-0068 (which is painted on the aircraft in very small writing just behind the crew access door).

What type and reg are you talking about?

clipper471
Head Editor

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm

JA8088 wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks in advance!

Below is the Help text written for registration numbers on the Upload page. Text that is red and boldface apply to US military.

Registration/Serial
Type the registration (also known as tail number) of the aircraft pictured. List only one registration. If there are more than one aircraft in the photo, type the registration of the most visible aircraft (the registration(s) of the other(s) can be mentioned in the caption field). By including the registration you will significantly increase your chances of having the photo accepted if it's a bordercase. Use capitals only, and use the standard format for the country concerned, like e.g. G-BNMH, SE-ARO, HK-2400X, A4O-PA, HL5645.

For the United States the form is e.g. N12345 and not N-12345, for Japan JA1234 and not JA-1234, for Russia RA-12345 and not RA12345, etc. Even when it is painted wrongly on the aircraft use the standard form only.

For military aircraft, list the serial in the registration field and the additional code if any in the code field. USAF and US Army aircraft are listed with the full serial including the fiscal year, e.g. 43-12453 or 85-0035, for the US Navy use the full six-digit BuAer number, e.g. 160457.

German serials are listed without the "+", e.g. 4375 instead of 43+75.
Spanish serials are listed without the dot, e.g. TK10-11 instead of TK.10-11.
Brazilian serials are listed without "FAB" as e.g. 5530 unless it forms part of the serial and is painted on the same line as e.g. FAB-1394.
French military and semi-military aircraft except the Navy: use the small number on the fin (which is often the c/n) as the registration and insert the squadron code in the code field. E.g. the small "109" on the fin is the registration, the larger "12-KF" is the code. French Navy aircraft only have a number which is the registration.
Italian serials: use the small MM prefixed serials as the registration and insert the squadron codes in the code field, e.g. the (very) small MM6768 is the registration, 36-05 is the code.
Other air forces: list in general the serial as painted on the aircraft.

When your photo is depicting an airfield or another subject not being an aircraft, leave this field blank. If your photo depicts an aircraft but you don't know the nationality and the registration, list the registration with five stars as *****. When you know the registration partly, list the details you know and fill the rest up with stars, e.g. N*****, D-A***, SE-***, PH-BD*, N5**DA, HB-JA*, 85-018*, A97-***, etc.

strfyr51

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Military airplanes can be identified by any Number of methods. The US Navy uses Buno Numbers The P3C's I flew on were like 157325 through 158574 in my squadron though other squadrons had earlier and Later Buno Numbers. Many of the USAF airplanes registrations seemed to start with the Year Acquired and another Registration Number like 75-33245. I would guess it is a matter of Bookkeeping for the different services..