Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redcoat78
Topic Author

Photograph resizing issues

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 am

Hi folks,
I have always followed the A.net editing guide yet I still face issues during the resizing process of my images.
Recently I shoot with a mirrorless FujiFilm XT2 on the largest pixels format available.
It was a perfect day, clear sky, no heat and the shoot resulted great with no blurry.
Anytime I try to resize to images on 1024 pxl format or something larger it appears the definition and details go lost.
My question is when the resizing step should be done, before or after all the postproduction corrections such as contrast, sharping, noise reduction...
Can this cause my problem?
Moreover, when you resize which is the resolution idex (pxl/inch) most suitable?

Thanks to all
Simone

vcruvinel
Support

Re: Photograph resizing issues

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am

redcoat78 wrote:
Hi folks,
I have always followed the A.net editing guide yet I still face issues during the resizing process of my images.
Recently I shoot with a mirrorless FujiFilm XT2 on the largest pixels format available.
It was a perfect day, clear sky, no heat and the shoot resulted great with no blurry.
Anytime I try to resize to images on 1024 pxl format or something larger it appears the definition and details go lost.
My question is when the resizing step should be done, before or after all the postproduction corrections such as contrast, sharping, noise reduction...
Moreover, when you resize which is the resolution idex (pxl/inch) most suitable?

Thanks to all
Simone

Where you resizing your image? Direct from photoshop or illustrator?

airkas1

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:55 pm

I do most of my processing in the RAW converter. Then I open up the image in Photoshop to level it. Then crop and resize. Then small corrections (like adjusting contrast if a little off) and then sharpening. In any case, I suggest to resize before doing any other post-processing. At 1024px, details will get lost faster than in a larger size, that's a given. But on the other side, this can hide any flaws that the image may have. If your photo quality can support a larger size, I would opt for that (personal choice however). In the end, if you post a photo, it will help us make a better call on it.

On my current Photoshop setup, the default is set to 300px/in. But on my previous setup, I think it was 72px/in. I never touch that value for A.net photos, usually only if I need to edit photos for prints.

redcoat78
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm

vcruvinel wrote:
redcoat78 wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks to all
Simone

Directly in PS. Just for instance today I have been rejected a couple of pictures due to vignetting and banding. I presume for that reason.

vcruvinel
Support

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 pm

redcoat78 wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:
redcoat78 wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks to all
Simone

Directly in PS. Just for instance today I have been rejected a couple of pictures due to vignetting and banding. I presume for that reason.

To avoid vignetting just apply the lens correction in Photoshop.

Try to use the Image Size in Photoshop and start with 300px/in (as Kas said) and 1024 or 1280px to your frame.

Do this steps and post a photo here to the members and crew see and help you! :)

Kaphias

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

PSA, folks: pixels per inch (px/in or ppi) makes NO DIFFERENCE when processing a photo for non-print uses. I could set mine to 3, 300, or 3000 and all the photos will display the same on a digital device.

Miguel1982

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Exactly what Kaphias said. Pixels are pixels, PPI does just not apply when we see shots on a screen. It's the screen resolution that will determine how large you see a photo for a given (pixel) size.

Back to topic. The interpolation method used in Photoshop for resizing can make a difference on the result. I have always used "Bicubic" without problems.

Cheers,
Miguel

redcoat78
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Miguel1982 wrote:
Exactly what Kaphias said. Pixels are pixels, PPI does just not apply when we see shots on a screen. It's the screen resolution that will determine how large you see a photo for a given (pixel) size.

Back to topic. The interpolation method used in Photoshop for resizing can make a difference on the result. I have always used "Bicubic" without problems.

Cheers,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
what's the Bicubic method? How to use it?
Thanks

Kaphias

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 am

redcoat78 wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:

Cheers,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
what's the Bicubic method? How to use it?
Thanks

Image > Image Size..., check the "Resample" box, select Bicubic. I use Bicubic Sharper... not sure what you use Miguel.

vcruvinel
Support

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am

Kaphias and Miguel, thanks for the quick explanation about this points to the user. I also just didn't know this aspects and learn more ;)

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel