Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

Canon T6i SD cards

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:42 am

Hi,

I have a Canon T6i camera and noticed that my camera is really slow in processing the photos I take. I'm not sure if this has to do with the camera itself or the memory card that is too slow. I have a Lexar Platinum II 16 GB 300 x 45MB/s card, another similar card but 32 GB and I have a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSD HC 1 class 10 memory card.

When I take pictures the camera takes about 2 or 3 photos after each other but at the 3rd or 4th photo tbe camera is still processing the previously taken photos. The camera does this while I'm using the Sandisk card I just described. I also have image quality setting to high quality (pixel recorded 24M, possible shots 940-1810, maximum burst 180 (940)-1810 (1810)), continuous shooting setting.

Where does the problem, in the camera type (T6i) or the cards I use or both? Do I need a faster camera or faster memory cards? If so, which types?

What do you recommend me to do so I can make pictures continuously after each other?

Cheers,

A388

Re: Canon T6i SD cards

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:55 am

Hi,

it is typically the Memory Card. I've even had that some months back with a almost new 80MB/S Memory Card that was of course theoretically fast enough, but that apparently wasn't working well and needed to be formatted.
These days I am using a 32GB class 10 with 95 MB/S and would look out for one with at least 80 MB/S.

To me it looks like your shooting in JPEG (based on the number of shots possible) and for that your camera is certainly fast enough.

As for RAW I guess 5 shots in a row would be the limit, so for that you would need to upgrade the Body. I would recommend an 80D that would be sufficient for an upgrade.
But if you are mainly shoot in JPEG you shouldn't need an upgrade.

Julien

A388
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks Julien. I forgotcto mention that I shoot in RAW and JPEG. So apparently the camera body isn't fast enough.

A388

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am

Okay, yes then the body isn't fast enough. I am using a 700D (I think it is called T5i) as a second body these days and while it produces quality shots it cannot handle more than 4 RAW shots in a row. As the 750D (=T6I) is more or less similar (other than having a few more megapixels) it should be the same or perhaps 1-2 shots more but that's it.

With that you'd need an 80D/similar or anything higher of Course, as I said before. To give you an idea my 80D can handle 20 RAW shots in a row, which for me is more than enough.

NJOpsGuy

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Sorry to come to this late, but there have been a number of advancements in cards over the past few years beyond the old "Class 10" and MBps ratings. The ratings you should be looking for are the "V" ratings, which start at V6 and end at V90 (I'm not aware that they've come up with anything higher than that).

Class 2 through Class 10 are the original SD cards and were rated at 2, 4, 6, and 10MBps transfer speeds (transfer speeds are always theoretical, so in reality a Class 10 would transfer at about 6MBps). That was enough for SD or 720p video and 6 to 8MP digital cameras to take one photo a second. With 1080 video, a higher class was needed and so UHS-I/II/III were developed. UHS-II was never really adopted, so you had UHS-I, which was basically Class 10, and UHS-III, which was the equivalent of a Class 30 (30MBps transfer).

UHS-III (usually seen as U3 or a "U" with a 3 inside it) was enough for 24p or 30p 4K video, but not nearly enough of 4K 60p UHD, so the V-classes were developed, with V30 being the equivalent of U3, and V60 and V90 being capable of 60MBps and 90MBps, respectively. So, for a 18-26MP camera with 24-36MB RAW images, you're really going to need that 64GB V90 SDXC card that costs a lot more than those inexpensive Class-10 or U1/U3 cards.