Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Aerial Photographs of LAX

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Has anyone noticed that aerial photos of LAX are featured on a daily basis in the top pictures of the past 24 hours? No other airport (JFK, ORD, LHR, DFW or even the busiest ATL) have nearly as many pictures. Personally, I’d like to see other top pictures instead of an endless scroll of LAX aerials.

FYI- I do think they’re amazing pictures and I enjoy looking at them.

Is this because there’s more aviation enthusiasts out there who take great pictures, or what?

vikkyvik

Re: Aerial Photographs of LAX

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Has anyone noticed that aerial photos of LAX are featured on a daily basis in the top pictures of the past 24 hours? No other airport (JFK, ORD, LHR, DFW or even the busiest ATL) have nearly as many pictures. Personally, I’d like to see other top pictures instead of an endless scroll of LAX aerials. FYI- I do think they’re amazing pictures and I enjoy looking at them. Is this because there’s more aviation enthusiasts out there who take great pictures, or what?

They're popular photos, certainly. But also, certain photographers post their photos on Facebook as well, and draw lots of hits from there.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 am

vikkyvik wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Has anyone noticed that aerial photos of LAX are featured on a daily basis in the top pictures of the past 24 hours? No other airport (JFK, ORD, LHR, DFW or even the busiest ATL) have nearly as many pictures. Personally, I’d like to see other top pictures instead of an endless scroll of LAX aerials. FYI- I do think they’re amazing pictures and I enjoy looking at them. Is this because there’s more aviation enthusiasts out there who take great pictures, or what?

They're popular photos, certainly. But also, certain photographers post their photos on Facebook as well, and draw lots of hits from there.

Maybe what we need is a masterclass for people to learn how to promote their images on Facebook effectively. I would also like to see more other images other than the LAX heli-spotting (or any heli-spotting for that matter).

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 am

cpd wrote:
Maybe what we need is a masterclass for people to learn how to promote their images on Facebook effectively. I would also like to see more other images other than the LAX heli-spotting (or any heli-spotting for that matter).

Speaking for myself (and taking into account that most of my photos aren't anything special), for the most part I just can't be bothered to promote my images on social media.

So my photos make the Top 5 only when A.net posts one of them on its Facebook page.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Ahhh, I see. Everything is Facebook, Facebook, Facebook. Now I completely get it.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm

cpd wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Agreed. There’s only so many LAX aerials one can see before they become a bit monotonous.

petertenthije

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 pm

It’s just a phase. Something new will show up soon enough, till we get bored of that.

I can remember people complaining of endless Schiphol Kaagbaan shots, then Schiphol Polderbaan, then Sint Maarten.... and so on.

CesnaPhotograph

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Has anyone noticed that aerial photos of LAX are featured on a daily basis in the top pictures of the past 24 hours? No other airport (JFK, ORD, LHR, DFW or even the busiest ATL) have nearly as many pictures. Personally, I’d like to see other top pictures instead of an endless scroll of LAX aerials.

Is this because there’s more aviation enthusiasts out there who take great pictures, or what?

Just last week I noticed some shots from gods eye view looking down at commercial flight touching down. I was wondering what sort of clearance is required for such photos.

deebee278

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Note to LAX helicopter photographers: You aren't the first to post an aerial shot of LAX, probably not even the 5000th one at this point. I took my first in 1974, albeit from a fixed wing aircraft. My advice also applies to SXM landing shots. I agree with many of the above posts.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 pm

CesnaPhotograph wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Just last week I noticed some shots from gods eye view looking down at commercial flight touching down. I was wondering what sort of clearance is required for such photos.

From memory, there was an airway or something similar going near the airport and they use that.

In Sydney, they just hover beside the active runways in locations that are not in the way of aircraft arrivals/departures or go-arounds.

vikkyvik

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:26 pm

deebee278 wrote:
Note to LAX helicopter photographers: You aren't the first to post an aerial shot of LAX, probably not even the 5000th one at this point. I took my first in 1974, albeit from a fixed wing aircraft. My advice also applies to SXM landing shots. I agree with many of the above posts.

Congrats...? What advice?

If people like the shots, and photographers like taking them, who cares that they're not the first?

jelpee

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Star Helicopters out of Hawthorne Municipal Airport (about 5 minutes south of LAX by air) has an arrangement with LAX ATC to hover in certain areas over and around LAX. They are not in the way of approaching and departing aircraft. I've done it several times and it is a neat experience even if you do not take any pictures. Here's my best one: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Etihad-A ... BRf7MTw%3D

Never made the front page since I do not have a FB account :)

Jehan

CassidysVacay

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 am

One of the KLAX VFR transitions is called the Mini Route. It goes directly over the tower which makes it like shooting fish in a barrel.