Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

josephpatrick
Topic Author

LHR 27R spotting

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 am

Hi all,

Have a trip to London booked tomorrow to visit Myrtle Avenue but looks like there is an issue with the landing system for 27L this week and the runway alteration isn't happening as normal.

My question is where is a good spot for landings on 27R? I've read that the Eastchurch Road roundabout is popular but am a bit confused by it after looking at it in Google maps. Where exactly do you stand to take photos from this spot? Can this still be walked to from Hatton Cross tube station?

Any other tips for 27R that are within walking distance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

airkas1

Re: LHR 27R spotting

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 am

You can walk to the roundabout (I've tried), but it's a bit of a walk. I ended up standing here: https://www.google.nl/maps/place/51%C2% ... authuser=0

The sun was at a better angle for me than if I were at the roundabout and I couldn't be bothered with the walk anymore (since I would also have to walk back). At the time I also read that there is a bus service to a stop near the roundabout, but I didn't know what the stop was and even asking a driver didn't get me a results. This left me no other choice than to try to walk over.

On another visit, I had rented a car and people were just standing on the grass areas between the fence and the road. So there's not an exact spot, just wherever you prefer to stand.

josephpatrick
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks very much for the tips. Yeah I had seen buses being mentioned for getting around Heathrow but when you don't know the stops its a hassle so have discounted them for this trip at least.

Will give it a go tomorrow anyway and see how I get on. :smile:

scbriml

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 pm

airkas1 wrote:
You can walk to the roundabout (I've tried), but it's a bit of a walk. I ended up standing here: https://www.google.nl/maps/place/51%C2% ... authuser=0

The sun was at a better angle for me than if I were at the roundabout and I couldn't be bothered with the walk anymore (since I would also have to walk back). At the time I also read that there is a bus service to a stop near the roundabout, but I didn't know what the stop was and even asking a driver didn't get me a results. This left me no other choice than to try to walk over.

There are several free buses from Hatton Cross that will get you to the roundabout near 27R threshold, which will save quite a long walk carrying your gear. I think it's 90, 285 & 423.

This time of the year sun angles are not a problem and the roundabout area will be good for the whole day. Personally, I prefer the possible angles from the roundabout, but it has been quite a while since I shot from there..

iRISH251

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm

There are quite a lot of lamp standards that can complicate photography a bit, the nearer to the runway you go. The spot mentioned by airkas1 is not a bad compromise. The road is fairly busy with traffic too so you need to stay safe and stand back from the kerb!