Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml
Topic Author

Runway usage at FLL?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:09 pm

I will have some time to spend at FLL in the coming weeks and was wondering what the runway usage there is like these days? The last time I visited, only the north runway was used by airliners, but now the south runway has been extended is it now also used by airliners?

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

Runway28L

Re: Runway usage at FLL?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 pm

I haven't been to FLL since 2015 but for the entire week I was there last they mostly used 10L and the new south runway (10R) for both departures and arrivals.

JetBlue seemed to be the biggest user of 10R along with Spirit and some of the Caribbean/LatAm Airlines. Everyone else used 10L.

The only time they used the 28s was for the morning arrival bank one day but that was very brief and they switched back to the 10s.

jelpee

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 am

You might check on Flight Radar 24 to get an idea of runway usage real time.

I'll be heading down to FLL (& MIA) on Feb 7 for the 2018 Florida Aviation Photo Convention. Are you by any chance joining as well? Last year both runways were active at FLL. I spent half of the day at the park spotting from the south and the other half (plus after dark) spotting from the top of the hibiscus garage.

Jehan

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll split some time between both runways.

jelpee wrote:
I'll be heading down to FLL (& MIA) on Feb 7 for the 2018 Florida Aviation Photo Convention. Are you by any chance joining as well?

I'm on vacation with my wife, so spotting time has to be, shall we say, negotiated. It will probably cost me a day in a spa for her! :wink2:

Moose135

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
I'm on vacation with my wife, so spotting time has to be, shall we say, negotiated. It will probably cost me a day in a spa for her! :wink2:

If she's in the spa for the day, that's more spotting time for you!

scbriml
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Moose135 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

If she's in the spa for the day, that's more spotting time for you!

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment. :wink2:

canyonblue17

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Just a friendly reminder - getting from one runway to the next takes a lot more time now. Since the south runway was completed - the normal perimeter road connecting the two has been cut off. And the primary backup road off the airport that connects the two is completely under construction and frequently closed as well. You need to follow detour signs to get around.

aussie18

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
Just a friendly reminder - getting from one runway to the next takes a lot more time now. Since the south runway was completed - the normal perimeter road connecting the two has been cut off. And the primary backup road off the airport that connects the two is completely under construction and frequently closed as well. You need to follow detour signs to get around.

When I was there is November it took around 25-30mins to get from the North Runway spotting location on SW 39th Ave to the South runway spotting location off Griffin Rd due to the construction works closing Anglers Ave so if you are tracking a certain aircraft or special livery and need to get between the two runways I would allow plenty of time.

Both runways were active while I was there though the North runway 10L/28R was more active on the day I was there for spotting.

scbriml
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 pm

aussie18 wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:

When I was there is November it took around 25-30mins to get from the North Runway spotting location on SW 39th Ave to the South runway spotting location off Griffin Rd due to the construction works closing Anglers Ave so if you are tracking a certain aircraft or special livery and need to get between the two runways I would allow plenty of time.

Both runways were active while I was there though the North runway 10L/28R was more active on the day I was there for spotting.

OK, thanks for the heads-up re switching between the two spotting locations.

Am I right in thinking that spotting from the top of the Hibiscus parking lot is still OK?

aussie18

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 pm

scbriml wrote:
aussie18 wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:

OK, thanks for the heads-up re switching between the two spotting locations.

Am I right in thinking that spotting from the top of the Hibiscus parking lot is still OK?

I did not spot at the Hibiscus parking lot but I believe it is recognized as an official spotting location.
http://www.broward.org/Airport/Communit ... fault.aspx

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm

aussie18 wrote:
I did not spot at the Hibiscus parking lot but I believe it is recognized as an official spotting location.
http://www.broward.org/Airport/Communit ... fault.aspx

OK, thanks.

727LOVER

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

OK, since the south runway opened, I have made several visits.

So what I have noticed is this:

Airlines on the north side (AA, UA, DL, WN, etc.) will generally use the north runway for landings and departures
Airlines in terminal 4 (NK, Tame, etc) will generally use the south runway for landings and departures

I use the word GENERALLY, not the word ABSOLUTELY.....no guarantees. But if you are waiting for a special livery, personally, I'd go with the odds.
Have I seen any NK aircraft on the north side...sure I have, but the majority of NK aircraft are on the south side these days.

Proving that NOTHING is guaranteed....back in December, I was at the north side at night heard this roar. I looked over and saw what I believed to be a 777 taking off on 10R. Checked flightaware...YEP...BA just departed. They're in terminal 4, but I had no idea that they would use the shorter runway!

Now, your questionable airline is B6
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8538352
Because they sit right in the middle, kind of hard to predict with them.

These are my observations.

aussie18 wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:

You must have been trying on a weekday between 4pm and 7pm. Yes, THAT can take 25-30 minutes. Otherwise, it only takes about 12-13 minutes. That detour is certainly aggravating. :evil: