Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eddi
Topic Author

How to get the photos sharp on the point?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:17 am

Hey mates,

I got many rejections with the main point sharpness. Sometimes oversharpend and sometimes soft. But how can I get the correct point for airliners?

I sharp my photos mainly with Lightroom and sometimes with Canon Digital Professional. Most pictures are in JPG but I started now taking shots in RAW (for testing).

Could someone help me on this?

jelpee

Re: How to get the photos sharp on the point?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:13 am

I use Photoshop Element 11 for all my editing. I sharpen after leveling, cropping, resizing, and contrast adjustments. Since not all areas of the image or the aircraft need the same amount of sharpening, I use a background layer on which I apply the sharpening. If I see jaggies, then I can use the eraser tool on the jaggies only. Also I select the aircraft using the magic wand or lasso tool before applying sharpening. If not, grain/noise appears in the sky. If more sharpening is needed, I "expand" my selection area and repeat the sharpening on a new background layer. If jaggies appear, then I erase that portion only. This method allows me to control the sharpening.

There are many ways to tackle the task of sharpening. The method I described above works well for me. I also find it least complicated. I'm sure others will chime in with methods that work for them.

Jehan

500kts

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm

It would help if you could post some photos, and the gear you are using. Are you having trouble getting the photos sharp to begin with, or just need help on sharpening photos in software? You can do a little, in software, but not a lot, imo, if they aren't sharp to begin with.

It's not a bad idea to start with noise reduction, especially if you use higher iso's. At least zoom in and have a look. If you sharpen noise, it gets worse. I like DPP, but their noise reduction used to smear too much detail. Newer versions might be better, but keep an eye out, and definitely compare it to LR. Free Neatimage is nice, for non-commercial work. Works on Jpegs, might be worth a try.

I sharpen differently, depending on what I'm doing. I'm new here, so I don't know what is done, usually, but often for Web photos I resize smaller. You might look at Steve Perry's videos on YouTube, he has an excellent sharpen and resize video. Or Google sharpen and resize.

I adapted it to the free Gimp program, basically you resize to 1.67x the final size you want, sharpen using sharpen, resize to final size you want, sharpen again using sharpen. Looks hard at first, but not bad. You might be able to use his plugin in lightroom. It takes about 2 minutes per image in Gimp, now that I've done it several times.

If I was using a full resolution image, I'd probably use unsharp masking, and adjust it til I got it how I wanted it.

It's better if you can selectively apply sharpening, only sharpening areas that need it, and keeping the sky, etc, that don't have any detail, or out of focus areas that don't have important detail, cleaner.

Feel free to ask more questions

Eddi
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Hey,

the main problem is how to see if the photo is sharp enough. There is in my eyes no real way for me like I have a histogram or something like that. The problem is in my eyes also not my gear or the photo in general. I mainly shoot in RAW and using a EOS 1DX with a Canon 100-400 II or 70-200 IS or 24-70 IS but of course mainly the 100-400 as it's a great lens.
I use mainly Lightroom for all and then export in full size to Canon DPP and do mainly small adjustmens in light/exposure and then resize to the upload size.

These are the latest results, a few got accepted after reworking.

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/4844767

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/4837041

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/4830253

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/4780147

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/4780149

jelpee

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Those links are pointing to my own submission queue.

Jehan

Eddi
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 am

jelpee wrote:
Those links are pointing to my own submission queue.

Hmm...on another that works. I uploaded now with a hoster hope that works better. I also have no problems with a rejection but of course it's annoying to upload a photo maybe 2-3x to get it accepted. That does increase the queue and maybe also frustrates the screeners.And I think my photos are not that bad...maybe not as good as others here but also not that bad. And mainly the rejection reasons are the typical things like "sharpness";"brightness" or sometimes blurry what maybe comes from sharpening.

Image[

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi,

your photos look like you haven't sharpened them at all upon post-processing. That is usually a must, no matter how good the equipment.
They all have the quality, so with some proper edits, they should easily make it.

If you want you can contact me via one of my shots (contact the photographer) and I could do an edit for you and then tell you what I did exactly.
That was what helped me the most when I was a beginner on a.net.
www.airliners.net/search?user=156849&display=detail

Otherwise as for sharpening, it should be one of the last things you do, definitely after resizing. I usually go for an amount of 30% 0,3 radius in Photoshop.
Unfortunately I have no clue about LR.

Cheers.
Julien