Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hrtsfldhomeboy
Topic Author

What's Your Favorite Photo from 2017?

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Getting to be that time of the year people! Please share your favorite photo you took in 2017 which was added to the database.

I'll start:

Commitments to family and career kept me away from the camera for most of 2017 but I was delighted to have the opportunity last month to photograph this Cessna in Virginia. Nothing remarkable about this photo. It's just a clean shot with a background offering nice contrast. But, those of you who know me well know I have a soft spot for "vintage" paint schemes found on general aviation aircraft from the 1950s-1980s.

I look forward to all the aviation photographs that will be coming from this community in 2018. -- Especially the "Withheld" photos from Russia! :biggrin:

clickhappy

Re: What's Your Favorite Photo from 2017?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:23 am

That's a nice image, dig the fall colors.

For me it was finally getting a chance to shoot the McDonnell 220 biz jet. Ever since Nick shot it before 9/11 I've wanted to see it, I finally had my chance this past spring, we flew TRM-IGM-GYR-ELP where we stated for the night, before heading on to ROW (and Elvis Presley's JetStar N440RM - another gem I had to have).

Anyways, the 220 didn't disappoint; It looked just like a mini B-58 Hustler. Simply fantastic.

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:39 am

Compared to some other window images, this isn't much, but I was quite happy with it:

Different magnitudes of lighting (beacon lighting the wing, the stars, and the city lights), long exposure, very high ISO, all made for a challenging photo to take and edit.

Barbro

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:13 pm

It would have to be this:

Woke up that morning for work and as normal checked if there’s anything. Noticed that this one was leaving on a delivery flight, which I was expecting a bit. Then checking the RWY-combo in use and decided that I’ll give it a go. Also decided that there’s no hurry as these flights almost never leave on time.
Still I left early, because, you know, just in case. As I jumped into my car and opened up fr24, I noticed it was already active as the transponder was on. Half an hour early! Come on, that never happens! As I started moving, so did she. I knew it takes me 8-10 mins to get to the place, and then walk 5 mins, so o-oh.... Luckily the morning traffic was not too bad and made it to the place just when she lined-up. Quickly out the car and camera ready, she was cleared for take-off.
I knew they sometimes rock the wings in departure, but you never know if they do, or how high up it will happen etc. When I finally saw her coming from behind some bushes, raising my camera onto my nose, I saw they started to rock already! Barely off the ground. One of the moments, when you’re actually going ’wooooOOOOOOWWW!’ while you’re shooting and just letting it rip.
With more time, I would’ve gotten to a much elevated position and it would’ve been more dramatic. Also, I wouldn’t have minded some blue skies. So there’s something to improve on for the next time..

oly720man

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Only a couple of photos this year and this was one of them. Perhaps the favourite because of the story rather than the photo itself.

This was one of those days where you leave home, 20 miles from the airport, in glorious sunshine and get to within a couple of miles of the airport and it's foggy. That can happen at Manchester. From past experience, and patience, if you wait a couple of hours the fog starts to clear, and if you're lucky you can get some decent condensation shots as well.

This was later in the morning, a delayed departure, due to the fog, and with FlyBe being fairly common at Manchester I didn't have an immediate interest in taking a photo, but I saw something spraying from the nose gear so I grabbed some pictures as it passed over.

I uploaded some photos to a couple of FB groups I'm in and got a few responses and didn't think much more of it, half wondering if they'd appear in a "plane disaster shock horror" tabloid report, as only the tabloids can do.

Following on FR24 the plane did some racetracks in one of the holds south of Manchester and after half an hour or so it returned to land, low flaps due to the hydraulics, and on the now closed 23L - dual runway ops at Manchester aren't 24/7.

Later that evening I got a message from one of the training captains at FlyBe to say he'd seen the photos, passed them on to their ops in Exeter and they'd helped diagnose the problem and they could decide what to do next. Halo polished. Social media has its uses.

Other pics here for those interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23957913@ ... 6105981723

airkas1

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:04 pm

I love a good story behind the image. Thanks for all the above posts, very fun and interesting to read! And good images as well of course :)

I also had a really good time browsing through my photos from this year and realized I went on quite a few nice trips. As usual, there are a couple of photos that I really like, but I've decided to go with a photo that I took at my home airport (and work). This type of movement is something I could only think of in my dreams and never imaged it to become true. Then, early summer, we received an E-mail with a request for this flight. Naturally, I was going to be there, even if it meant being there in my own time.

The light and runway usage wasn't optimal, but the aircraft made up for all of it. A nice greaser on the runway and a speedy return to the apron for me, as I wanted more shots. The crew was quite fast in wrapping things up and going into town, but not before I got some interior and cockpit photos.

Definitely the movement of the year for the airport and I'm very happy to have been there for it.

dutchspotter1

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:50 am

clickhappy wrote:
we flew TRM-IGM-GYR-ELP where we stated for the night, before heading on to ROW (and Elvis Presley's JetStar N440RM - another gem I had to have).

Now that sounds like a fun daytrip! Did yo make it just for photography purposes or was it work-related? What a/c type did you fly?

Joshu

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Southwest retired their 733s this fall. They were incredible workhorses. I'm not gonna complain about their replacements though!

miamivice

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 am

My favorite 2017's photo is this one depicting the arrival in Cagliari (LIEE/CAG) of the first Iberia Express flight from Madrid, especially because it is a beautiful memory of a really nice day for me and other friends.
It was the first time I was allowed to access the civil airport apron together with other journalists and it was the first time that Cagliari Airport authorities made the water cannon to welcome a new flight arriving in the capital of Sardinia Island. My initial idea for that day was to take the picture with my old Olympus E-3 equipped with a 14-54 lens in order to catch all the water arch, however due to the very high temperatures (42/43 degrees Celsius) this camera suddenly stopped working, so I had to use my Nikon D7200 with the 70-300 lens trying to bring home some results.

McG1967

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

I haven't really uploaded a lot over the past year or so.
This is probably my favourite 2017 image taken during a trip to Alaska.

notaxonrotax

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:55 am

This one I guess:

It reminds me of the good times I had between the Orca`s and the seaplanes in the Vancouver / Vancouver Island area this year.

The best A-net moment was my 1000th in database, but alas; that was an older picture.

No Tax On Rotax

spompert

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 am

For me it`s this one from Baku`s airport in Azerbeidzjan.

After my Formula One trip to the Baku GP I was able to get a shot from the new terminal. There was no other shot of this terminal in the database yet. When I took the shot from the top of the escalator the security was shouting from the floor to me (leftside, not visible). Glad I already had the photo and was very relieved once cleared customs. I was really afraid they were coming after me :)

trevisan26

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm

I guess this one gets the place in 2017. Air France delayed by a few hours and the sun just showing up during sunset after being largely covered by the clouds for a few minutes make it not only my favorite but also luckiest photo of the past year.

spompert wrote:
For me it`s this one from Baku`s airport in Azerbeidzjan.

Nice photo. The new Baku terminal is beautiful. A security guard also yelled at me for taking a picture of the terminal. I though he would come to delete the pictures just like the other day when I took a picture of a building and the car of the president appeared unintentionally in the corner of the photo. Interesting country!

Dysko

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

Undoubtedly this one:

One of the glider tug pilots in the club where I was trying to get my glider pilot license saw that I took a static photo of that same plane at the Friedrichshafen general aviation fair, where it was officially unveiled for the first time.
He happened to know the designer/pilot/owner of the factory himself, and he offered me to meet him personally.
When I arrived there, the designer performed a sort of "private" airshow with its new creation. When he landed, my friend told him "Hey, you need some air-to-air photos of the new airplane, isn't it? What about if I remove the side door of that other ultralight in the apron so we can shoot some photos?"

So, here is how I got the chance to take some of my first air-to-air photos :D

NPeterman

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Looking at my Acceptances (or lack thereof) in 2017 and 2016, it becomes a bit obvious that my activity on the site dropped significantly after the changes that were made a few years back. In light of that, my actual favorite shots of 2017 weren't even uploaded sadly :(

That being said, of the whopping 4 which were, I would have to go with this shot of Columbia's new CH-47D departing the Dallas Convention Center following HeliExpo 2017. Forest fires had just broken out in Oklahoma at the start of the event, and while this aircraft was desperately needed to fight the fires, it was stuck indoors until the event's end. At the conclusion of the final day of the show, they rushed the Chinook outdoors and got to work hanging the blades again. While clouds had killed the sunlight by the time they left, it was still a sight to behold. I was shooting with a borrowed 5DIII that day (first time with a full frame body) and this was taken with little to no cropping using a 24-105mm... that is how close they let us get. I am pretty sure I am still finding bits of foliage in my bags from this day :lol:

Perhaps I will find my way back to uploading more here in 2018. I would love to hit the big 1,000 mark, which I had thought would happen in 2015 before the site revamp. Time shall tell :shock:

CesnaPhotograph

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:46 am

airkas1 wrote:
I love a good story behind the image. Thanks for all the above posts, very fun and interesting to read! And good images as well of course :)

I also had a really good time browsing through my photos from this year and realized I went on quite a few nice trips. As usual, there are a couple of photos that I really like, but I've decided to go with a photo that I took at my home airport (and work). This type of movement is something I could only think of in my dreams and never imaged it to become true. Then, early summer, we received an E-mail with a request for this flight. Naturally, I was going to be there, even if it meant being there in my own time.

The light and runway usage wasn't optimal, but the aircraft made up for all of it. A nice greaser on the runway and a speedy return to the apron for me, as I wanted more shots. The crew was quite fast in wrapping things up and going into town, but not before I got some interior and cockpit photos.

Definitely the movement of the year for the airport and I'm very happy to have been there for it.

Nice timing on this one

Plainplane

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 am

I'm split between these two, both were very unique and special opportunities: