Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightningzap
Topic Author

APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 am

Hi, I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get the best pictures out of my T7i, This is what I have been able to get so far. https://www.flickr.com/photos/155007752 ... otostream/
I'm not looking for feedback for fitting into airliners.net guidelines (cropping, WB) but rather on how to improve overall.

jelpee

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

I think you're image looks pretty good (IMO). Some sharpening and some noise reduction should result in a decent final product. The exposure looks OK to me given that there is hardly any ambient light. You've done way better than I could under those circumstances!

Jehan

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm

jelpee wrote:
I think you're image looks pretty good (IMO). Some sharpening and some noise reduction should result in a decent final product. The exposure looks OK to me given that there is hardly any ambient light.

Agreed.

Really, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Your keeper rate will be quite low with the long shutter speeds, but keep at it. You will improve.

Also, with time you'll get some noise reduction settings dialed in as well. NR can be great, but it also destroys detail and smears color, so it's a fine balance when you have a noisy shot.

I would also highly recommend shooting in RAW if you're not. Using NR on a RAW image is much better.

That sort of shot that you're taking is quite difficult, so well done.

airkas1

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am

airkas1 wrote:
The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.

clarity can not be added without completely ruining the edges and highlights

ThePointblank

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

Are you doing it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I've found that when editing, I occasionally send stuff from Lightroom to Photoshop to use the more advanced tools in Photoshop to do more fine tuned work.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

Are you doing it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I've found that when editing, I occasionally send stuff from Lightroom to Photoshop to use the more advanced tools in Photoshop to do more fine tuned work.

Lightroom but the main reason and the reason for this post is because with a lower quality sensor, iso 1600 and above seems to create unrecoverable edges.

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am

lightningzap wrote:
Lightroom but the main reason and the reason for this post is because with a lower quality sensor, iso 1600 and above seems to create unrecoverable edges.

Sounds like you might be shooting JPEG with in-camera noise reduction turned on (I think it's called High ISO Noise Reduction). As others have noted, I'd strongly suggest shooting RAW, and applying noise reduction in post-processing.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 am

vikkyvik wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

Sounds like you might be shooting JPEG with in-camera noise reduction turned on (I think it's called High ISO Noise Reduction). As others have noted, I'd strongly suggest shooting RAW, and applying noise reduction in post-processing.

I'm shooting raw and with in camera noise reduction turned off. Applying noise reduction in post processing destroys edges, there's a limit to what you can do with a cheaper camera like this one.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 am

lightningzap wrote:
I'm shooting raw and with in camera noise reduction turned off. Applying noise reduction in post processing destroys edges, there's a limit to what you can do with a cheaper camera like this one.

OK, good that you're shooting RAW. That said, there's a limit to what you can do with ANY camera.

If you'd like, you can send me the RAW file and I'll try an edit and share with you what I did. I shoot a lot of low-light high-ISO stuff. PM me if you'd like me to give it a shot.