lightningzap
Topic Author
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:14 am

APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 am

Hi, I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get the best pictures out of my T7i, This is what I have been able to get so far. https://www.flickr.com/photos/155007752 ... otostream/
I'm not looking for feedback for fitting into airliners.net guidelines (cropping, WB) but rather on how to improve overall.
 
User avatar
jelpee
Screener
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:34 am

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

I think you're image looks pretty good (IMO). Some sharpening and some noise reduction should result in a decent final product. The exposure looks OK to me given that there is hardly any ambient light. You've done way better than I could under those circumstances!

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12113
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm

jelpee wrote:
I think you're image looks pretty good (IMO). Some sharpening and some noise reduction should result in a decent final product. The exposure looks OK to me given that there is hardly any ambient light.


Agreed.

Really, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Your keeper rate will be quite low with the long shutter speeds, but keep at it. You will improve.

Also, with time you'll get some noise reduction settings dialed in as well. NR can be great, but it also destroys detail and smears color, so it's a fine balance when you have a noisy shot.

I would also highly recommend shooting in RAW if you're not. Using NR on a RAW image is much better.

That sort of shot that you're taking is quite difficult, so well done.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.
 
lightningzap
Topic Author
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:14 am

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am

airkas1 wrote:
The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.


clarity can not be added without completely ruining the edges and highlights
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.


clarity can not be added without completely ruining the edges and highlights

Are you doing it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I've found that when editing, I occasionally send stuff from Lightroom to Photoshop to use the more advanced tools in Photoshop to do more fine tuned work.
 
lightningzap
Topic Author
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:14 am

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
The exposure looks alright to me as well. I would probably also reduce some highlights (for the brighter lights) and chromatic abberation (purple fringes at said lights). Also a kickof clarity to make the aircraft stand out more and make it a little brighter. Night photos like these can usually take much more clarity, as the halos that come with it are less noticeable in the dark.


clarity can not be added without completely ruining the edges and highlights

Are you doing it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I've found that when editing, I occasionally send stuff from Lightroom to Photoshop to use the more advanced tools in Photoshop to do more fine tuned work.


Lightroom but the main reason and the reason for this post is because with a lower quality sensor, iso 1600 and above seems to create unrecoverable edges.
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12113
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: APS-C DSLR Night Photography Tips

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am

lightningzap wrote:
Lightroom but the main reason and the reason for this post is because with a lower quality sensor, iso 1600 and above seems to create unrecoverable edges.


Sounds like you might be shooting JPEG with in-camera noise reduction turned on (I think it's called High ISO Noise Reduction). As others have noted, I'd strongly suggest shooting RAW, and applying noise reduction in post-processing.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos