Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deebee278
Topic Author

Tips Needed For Selling Slide Collection

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi,
Need some advice. Someone has mentioned casually that he might want to buy my slide collection, all originals shot by myself. I have everything digitized (three backups) and don't have any use for the originals nor do I want to get into the business or auctions and conventions. The buyer would get only the original slides. I would keep the digital version for my own use only. There are a little over 1140 slides, from 1975 through September, 2001. (I went digital in '02) Most are from the USA and Mexico, with some from HKG as well as Europe.

Question is, how much would it be worth, expressed either per slide or in total? I'd be selling the collection in total, not piecemeal. As you have nothing to look at, your answers will be understandably vague.

Any other tips? Thanks

deebee278
Topic Author

Re: Tips Needed For Selling Slide Collection

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm

deebee278 wrote:
Hi,
Need some advice. Someone has mentioned casually that he might want to buy my slide collection, all originals shot by myself. I have everything digitized (three backups) and don't have any use for the originals nor do I want to get into the business or auctions and conventions. The buyer would get only the original slides. I would keep the digital version for my own use only. There are a little over 1140 slides, from 1975 through September, 2001. (I went digital in '02) Most are from the USA and Mexico, with some from HKG as well as Europe.

Question is, how much would it be worth, expressed either per slide or in total? I'd be selling the collection in total, not piecemeal. As you have nothing to look at, your answers will be understandably vague.

Any other tips? Thanks

Disregard...319 views and no replies...The buyer and myself settled it ourselves.

Jalap

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 am

Well I'm in a similar situation, only I don't know where I can find a buyer. It's more like 10K or 20K slides, sitting here and degrading. Not finished scanning them though (I doubt I'll ever even manage to scan all my own shots). For the right price, I'd sell immediately. But have no clue what the right price could possibly be. Guess going to a convention or 2 would be the way to go for me. And hope to find a buyer for the whole collection there...

deebee278
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Jalap wrote:
Well I'm in a similar situation, only I don't know where I can find a buyer. It's more like 10K or 20K slides, sitting here and degrading. Not finished scanning them though (I doubt I'll ever even manage to scan all my own shots). For the right price, I'd sell immediately. But have no clue what the right price could possibly be. Guess going to a convention or 2 would be the way to go for me. And hope to find a buyer for the whole collection there...

Sorry for the late reply, as I had quit checking the thread. We settled on 33 cents per slide. With your large collection, that price might be too much. The buyer was mainly interested in a part of the collection that I had in abundance, but I wanted to sell it in one piece, rather than stand around for hours at a convention. As mentioned, I had already scanned everything, so I still have copies for my personal use. My Kodachrome64 slides date back as far as 1974 and had held up well. I took a little high speed Ektachrome which aren't in as great shape but are easily corrected in Photoshop, Lightroom, etc for your personal use. Hope this helps.

deebee278
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Jalap wrote:

I'm still new to A.net. I just sent you a reply that problably went to your personal A.net mail and not to the forum.