Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NPeterman
Topic Author

New 7D Mark II - Difficulty with Sharp Photos

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 am

Good evening,

I was hoping to maybe get some thoughts/input from the group. I recently became the owner of a Canon-refurbished 7D Mark II, as what seemed like a deserving replacement to my 6 year old and well used 7D. Took it out today and the results were ... well somewhat alarming. With my 7D, I never questioned whether images would be sharp, notwithstanding atmospheric conditions or horrendous panning by me. However the F8.0, 1/800 sunny stuff was always a slam dunk. Not so with the 7DII today. I would say maybe 5% of the overall images were on part with my 7D's usual performance, despite using the same glass, etc. I am also talking about images being WAY out of focus, soft, blurry, etc. I have some examples below. Anyone have thoughts on what may be driving this?

AF: Servo
AF Points: Large Zone AF (central zone selected)
Case 2
Focus Priority

First up is a photo from the same place, same lens on my old 7D. Next up are a pair of examples from the 7DII... which are far from the worse.

Image7D1 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Image7D2 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Image7D2ii by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Image7DIII by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

I'd appreciate any thoughts y'all may have. After spending money on a new body, I shudder to think I may now have a serious problem with softness ahead of me :(

ThePointblank

Re: New 7D Mark II - Difficulty with Sharp Photos

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 am

Have you calibrated your lenses to your body? This is what I am seeing:

1. American 787: the focus point appears to be by the wing-body fairing, as that is the sharpest part of the picture to me.

2. American 737: the focus point appears to be by the back engine

3. Delta 737: can't tell where the focus point is here

I'm guessing you have a back focus issue, so you will need to do AFMA to get it in line.

NPeterman
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 pm

I have not yet, I admit I didn't expect to have such OOF results out of the box, as I never have in the past. Clearly I will have to figure out how to do some AFMA :(

JakTrax

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 pm

AFMA is just a euphemism for crap quality control if you ask me. I've had lenses which I've adjusted for one focal length but then suffer at another, rendering MA pretty much useless. I'm not convinced that this is a simple tolerance issue between lens and camera to be honest, although if the lens is fine on your older 7D it's clearly an issue with the camera.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Have you tried taking some shots of a static subject at close distance and various focal lengths?

Might give you some more insight into the issue.

JakTrax

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Vik's suggestion is a good one - when I had issues with the 24-105L II I went around the house (and the garden) photographing various static subjects in an attempt to narrow down the issue. Helped a lot in identifying the fault (which turned out to be the lens).