Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NateGreat
Topic Author

Cabin Photos from Doomed Jets

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Does anyone here on Anet have any photos from the cabins of planes that have crashed? I know for a fact that I have cabin photos from planes that include the two MH 777s that crashed in 2014. I am most curious about AA11 (N334AA), UA175 (N612UA), AA77 (N644AA), and UA93 (N591UA). I know someone published a trip report with no photos of a flight from IAD-SFO on N591UA in August 2001. If anyone flew on those planes but don’t have any photos, look for some old photos of cabins of AA and UA 752s and 762s that were identical to that of the four that I just listed, and post them here.

OzarkD9S

Re: Cabin Photos from Doomed Jets

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:25 pm

What a morbid, if interesting request.

ikolkyo

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Can I ask why you want this?

codc10

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:38 pm

I flew on HL7742 a year before it crashed (OZ214 @SFO) and have some cabin photos from the flight. We sat in 4D/G, the charred remains of which were visible in overhead photos of the forward section of the airplane as the top of the fuselage completely burned away.

This is one of the eeriest photos in aviation history, IMO, taken in the cabin of JAL123 shortly before it crashed.

Independence76

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Not sure why everyone is confused about the inquiry. It's strange, but interesting and plenty of aviation enthusiasts who have studied accidents have no doubt found an interest in such documentation.

Air New Zealand 901: Plenty of clear images and video were filmed on board the fateful flight, including a video filmed at the moment of impact.

Japan Air Lines 123: I've never seen the picture above, and if confirmed to be true, is both genuinely fascinating and creepy. There is a confirmed image of the plane with the tail already broken off, as well as video (not sure if confirmed) of JL123 taking off from HND.

Lauda Air 004: There is a video on YouTube which was someone's home video in 1990 shortly after OE-LAV was delivered to Lauda. Very comprehensive and fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88bKKSVw1sU

Swissair 111: Like Lauda 004, there is a very well documented home video from 1996 of HB-IWF on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi452nsBOwA

Mount Salak Sukhoi Superjet 100 crash: The demo flight of the Sukhoi in Indonesia had a photographer on board part of the Sukhoi marketing team, which took and uploaded many images directly to Flickr via the aircraft's wifi (supposedly). Plenty of images of people smiling on board and the cockpit shortly before takeoff.

Malaysia Airlines 17: The most recent of morbid and haunting photos is the selfie taken aboard MH17 shortly before takeoff from AMS. There was also supposedly images of the plane at the gate just before boarding, but I believe this was debunked with a noted incorrect registration. I'm sure there has been lots of cabin documentation/photos/videos over the years of this airframe due to the special livery status it once had.

There's a number of other various images over the years of cockpits, such as both MH jets and I think AF447 as well. That's all from the top of my head.

Super80Fan

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm

I believe an A.Netter has a trip report from 9M-MRO, the aircraft for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

787fan8

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Here’s a video from YouTube that was taken from inside the aircraft involved in the crash of AF447. This was filmed about a year before it crashed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6myu8CaWM

N292UX

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Don't know if this counts but here's C-FTLU (Air Canada flight 797) after the emergency landing and fire in CVG:

N626AA

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 pm

I recall seeing somewhere online a few selfies that some of the pax took of themselves onboard the doomed MH 17 at the gate and posted them to social media before takeoff, with the overhead bins, aisle, windows, other pax, etc all in the pic. I believe one of the posters was a kid, maybe 10 years old. That's got to be so sad for the families knowing these will be the last pics/posts by them before tragedy. Very sad and eerie even for me to view knowing what would happen a few hours later. Has anyone else seen these pics?

Polot

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:09 pm

The cabin crew of EA401 took a group photo of themselves on the aircraft the day of the crash (can’t remember if directly before flt 401 or earlier in the day). On phone so can’t link to it now though.

jeffh747

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 am

Independence76 wrote:
Not sure why everyone is confused about the inquiry. It's strange, but interesting and plenty of aviation enthusiasts who have studied accidents have no doubt found an interest in such documentation.

Air New Zealand 901: Plenty of clear images and video were filmed on board the fateful flight, including a video filmed at the moment of impact.

Japan Air Lines 123: I've never seen the picture above, and if confirmed to be true, is both genuinely fascinating and creepy. There is a confirmed image of the plane with the tail already broken off, as well as video (not sure if confirmed) of JL123 taking off from HND.

Lauda Air 004: There is a video on YouTube which was someone's home video in 1990 shortly after OE-LAV was delivered to Lauda. Very comprehensive and fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88bKKSVw1sU

Swissair 111: Like Lauda 004, there is a very well documented home video from 1996 of HB-IWF on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi452nsBOwA

Mount Salak Sukhoi Superjet 100 crash: The demo flight of the Sukhoi in Indonesia had a photographer on board part of the Sukhoi marketing team, which took and uploaded many images directly to Flickr via the aircraft's wifi (supposedly). Plenty of images of people smiling on board and the cockpit shortly before takeoff.

Malaysia Airlines 17: The most recent of morbid and haunting photos is the selfie taken aboard MH17 shortly before takeoff from AMS. There was also supposedly images of the plane at the gate just before boarding, but I believe this was debunked with a noted incorrect registration. I'm sure there has been lots of cabin documentation/photos/videos over the years of this airframe due to the special livery status it once had.

There's a number of other various images over the years of cockpits, such as both MH jets and I think AF447 as well. That's all from the top of my head.

I agree completely. This could be a very interesting- morbid- but very interesting nonetheless thread. I’m particularly interested in the photos you mentioned of JAL123 and MH17. I’ve never seen them, and have had trouble finding them online, does anyone else know where I might find them?

Edit: I think I found the photo Polot mentioned of the EA401 cabin crew: http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C9BKJ ... VRsuc24LOM:

71Zulu

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 am

A KLM passenger took this picture of the Pan Am 747 at Tenerife, shortly after both 747s and 583 passengers were lost.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

N292UX

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 am

MH 17 before crash:

leleko747

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:23 am

Independence76 wrote:

Do you have a link for this video or images?

ludavid777

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:45 am

I have a couple of pictures I took onboard of 9M-MRD, when I was flying from Bali to KUL on March 22, 2014. Just a couple of months before it was shot down as MH 17. I leaned towards taking pictures, since MH 370 had disappeared just days earlier. There was only 3 of us in business class on this flight. Here is one pic.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 am

N292UX wrote:
MH 17 before crash:

What's interesting about this photo is what that it was posted on Instagram by one of the victims with the hashtag #hatisedikitgentar which meant feeling a bit nervous.

OB1504

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:06 am

Independence76 wrote:

What makes it weirder is that the OP specifically requested 9/11 flights. Wasn't there another poster who had a weird obsession with a similar topic?

717atOGG

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 am

OB1504 wrote:
Independence76 wrote:

What makes it weirder is that the OP specifically requested 9/11 flights. Wasn't there another poster who had a weird obsession with a similar topic?

Yeah, he wanted to take some pieces of AA 11 from a landfill in NYC, and a ton of people responded saying how sick and twisted that was. This is a slightly better, albeit morbid, but slightly interesting topic.

thegoldenargosy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 am

I think it's interesting to see what these aircraft looked like inside. Crashes are like a snapshot of aviation history.

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 am

In a weird way I kind of get it though, I sort of find it fascinating as well for some odd reason. I don't consider myself a freak of nature or someone who loves death, but I have also been fascinated with it, mostly thinking "I wonder what they are feeling or thinking, they likely have no idea what's ahead" etc.

I remember seeing a Air Crash Investigation of New Zealand flt 901 on a polar sightseeing mission, and they showed some home footage taken in flt before the crash supposedly, I strangely found it captivating, such a strong feeling etc.

aerokiwi

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
In a weird way I kind of get it though, I sort of find it fascinating as well for some odd reason. I don't consider myself a freak of nature or someone who loves death, but I have also been fascinated with it, mostly thinking "I wonder what they are feeling or thinking, they likely have no idea what's ahead" etc.

I remember seeing a Air Crash Investigation of New Zealand flt 901 on a polar sightseeing mission, and they showed some home footage taken in flt before the crash supposedly, I strangely found it captivating, such a strong feeling etc.

From memory, wasn't there a picture at the moment of impact? With some kind of dark fluid splattered across a passenger window? I may be getting confused with another incident though. Either way, very eery.

I think the OP was looking for pictures from the actual flight itself, rather than the aircraft throughout its life.

It is an awkward albeit historical issue to consider.

fbgdavidson

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:27 am

I wrote a trip report from a flight I took on G-YMMM just over a year before it crashed at LHR (scroll to the bottom). Video included too...
viewtopic.php?t=958473

The photo links are broken but found here:
https://fbgd.shutterfly.com/3060

727LOVER

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:34 am

MH 370:

MH 17:

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 am

aerokiwi wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

From memory, wasn't there a picture at the moment of impact? With some kind of dark fluid splattered across a passenger window? I may be getting confused with another incident though. Either way, very eery.

Not that I really recall. The video I saw was just some home footage inside the cabin, filmed around the cabin and you can see everyone standing around moving from different sides of the plane to take pictures, and I just recall the person saying something about how the footage was taken not long before it crashed, thought it was eerie.

trnswrld

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 am

This picture always kind of creeps me out. You can even see the pilot in the window. This was just after pushback of TWA flight 553 which crashed probably less than an hour after this picture was taken. It collided midair with a smaller general aviation aircraft.

Edit: I can’t figure out how to post the picture, but google TWA 553 and the famous picture of the DC9 comes up. N1063T

United1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:52 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

Not that I really recall. The video I saw was just some home footage inside the cabin, filmed around the cabin and you can see everyone standing around moving from different sides of the plane to take pictures, and I just recall the person saying something about how the footage was taken not long before it crashed, thought it was eerie.

I remember seeing that photo as well..the theroy was it was fuel coming out of the fuel tank right at impact. It was definitely from a NZ901 documentary that I think I saw on YouTube...it was creepy as all hell.

Gonzalo

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 am

The human nature...we all know there is some sort of eerie feeling staring at the cabin of an aircraft that we know is in the ocean floor now. But we can’t refrain to open the large version of the cockpit photo of MH-370 and think “moving this knobs and controls someone decided the fate of the flight that remains as one of the biggest misteries in aviation history”... I did it !

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 am

Unless debunked I believe this is the photo of the Chapecoense Football Team for Brazil on the plane that ran out of fuel and crashed in Colombia. Both on the aircraft and a picture taken right before getting on it. I remember seeing these last Dec when it happened, but I don't know that they are 100% verified authentic at the time photos

Gonzalo

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 am

SpinOn2 wrote:

Unless debunked I believe this is the photo of the Chapecoense Football Team for Brazil on the plane that ran out of fuel and crashed in Colombia. Both on the aircraft and a picture taken right before getting on it. I remember seeing these last Dec when it happened, but I don't know that they are 100% verified authentic at the time photos

As far as I know this pictures are 100% authentic and you can see the pilot in the pic outside the plane at the right of the photo...

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 am

United1 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

I remember seeing that photo as well..the theroy was it was fuel coming out of the fuel tank right at impact. It was definitely from a NZ901 documentary that I think I saw on YouTube...it was creepy as all hell.

I found this picture... not sure if it's correct one.

MKEdude

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 am

Yeah it's morbid, but I get it. After all we're human. The JAL 123 pic is the one that got me.

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 am

a318

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
United1 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

I found this picture... not sure if it's correct one.

That is incredibly eerie.

BoeingGuy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 am

trnswrld wrote:
This picture always kind of creeps me out. You can even see the pilot in the window. This was just after pushback of TWA flight 553 which crashed probably less than an hour after this picture was taken. It collided midair with a smaller general aviation aircraft.

Edit: I can’t figure out how to post the picture, but google TWA 553 and the famous picture of the DC9 comes up. N1063T

I used that photo in a presentation on TCAS. It is eerie. You can clearly see the Captain’s arm and shirt in the flight deck.

SpinOn2

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
trnswrld wrote:

I used that photo in a presentation on TCAS. It is eerie. You can clearly see the Captain’s arm and shirt in the flight deck.

I just zoomed in on the picture and you can even easily make out the FO in the picture zoomed in as well, and it's probably just my imagination talking but it ALMOST seems like zoomed in the Captain is staring at the camera. Creepy!

727LOVER

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 am

trnswrld wrote:

That pic used to be on this site...I even did a thread on it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=250739&p=2613391&hilit=picture#p2613391

NateGreat
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Can I ask why you want this?

I find that kind of thing to be eerily interesting.

NateGreat
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 am

Independence76 wrote:

Thanks for posting those!

lebda

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:25 am

That terrible picture recovered from JAL 123 came to mind, but somebody already posted that.

UA 811 is another that has some, but I'm not sure if it counts considering almost everybody survived and the plane was subsequently repaired and returned to service:

AH45

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:45 am

This is HL7742 preparing to depart for SFO, just a month before it went down.

mrcomet

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:01 am

Should we extend the creepiness? How about a chain where we can all post our own photos for flights we may be on. Then if it crashes, we'll be eerily documented. Of course, with millions of flights a month it would be (thankfully) a needle in a field of haystacks.

fraspotter

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 am

I know there were several photos of people on board and boarding Metrojet 9268 before it was bombed out of SSH on 31 October 2015. One is of a little baby standing against the glass in the boarding area before boarding, one of a father and daughter walking up the air stairs and another of a whole family selfie just prior to take off. Haunting images. Nowadays you're more likely to have these instances of surviving photos thanks to digital photography (not nearly as popular or widely available at the time of 9/11) and online social media even if the original camera and memory card was destroyed in the crash.

bananaboy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 am

I took a few videos from a LHR-ICN-SYD flight, both sectors on HL7742
Eg https://youtu.be/R_nhlSGjMjE

There's a trip report too.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=971681

Mark

fraspotter

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 am

mrcomet wrote:
Should we extend the creepiness? How about a chain where we can all post our own photos for flights we may be on. Then if it crashes, we'll be eerily documented. Of course, with millions of flights a month it would be (thankfully) a needle in a field of haystacks.

I think taking a picture before takeoff and posting to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter (or email it to somebody if you aren't on social media) may be enough.

sevenair

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 am

It's a bit morbid. But not more morbid than the many Titanic movies and profit making documentaries people have made and millions who have watched. Pieces of the ship and fittings fetch millions. So there is a morbid curiosity in us all. Not to mention a vast 9/11 memorial. A wonderful place to quietly reflect on what happened. It's very tastefully done and includes aircraft parts and a part of Hemispheres magazine. I think in disasters we loose the human side a little.

727LOVER wrote:
MH 370:

MH 17:

Very eerie. The MH17 one particularly. Hard to believe it. Such a cosy, colourful and welcoming cabin became an entangled mess of metal and mangled bodies. Picture which will haunt me for ever.

Arion640

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

727LOVER wrote:
MH 370:

MH 17:

Never new MH were into 2-5-2.

Iemand91

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm

codc10 wrote:
This is one of the eeriest photos in aviation history, IMO, taken in the cabin of JAL123 shortly before it crashed.

It's actually a crop of this picture:

71Zulu wrote:
A KLM passenger took this picture of the Pan Am 747 at Tenerife, shortly after both 747s and 583 passengers were lost.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

A couple of pictures were that day, probably more than we can find online. Don't know for sure they were taken by a KLM passenger but at some point in history I've read/heard that statement. I've never seen a definitive source stating the true origine of these photo's.
Could be true though; since the KLM passengers were taken of the plane.
See more of those photo's in this post of mine: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1358843#p19437691

One of the photo's show the main landing gear of (most likely) the KLM 747 with a crew member. Eerie thing is; the Pan Am First Office and Flight Engineer had walked around the platform to see if they could taxi around the KLM 747. They might have spoken to the KLM crew in person on the ground at that moment only to have crashed about 1.5 - 2 hours later.

There's also a cockpit photo of PH-BUF on this site, taken about 2 years before the crash in 1977:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-Roya ... 6B/1376719

N292UX wrote:
MH 17 before crash:

Part of this 14 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJHfP3WOhA
There are several photo's online taken inside the plane during boarding. Sad, sad pictures indeed.
There's also a picture of MH17 flying enroute on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118996245 ... 677153332/

There are several videos online of the evacuation/chaos in crashed airliners, the Emirates 777 in Dubai for example.
There are also several photo's on this site of cabins/cockpit of aircraft that crashed later on.

McDonnell Douglas MD-87, SE-DMA. Taken in July 2000, crashed on October 8, 2001:

Saab-Fairchild SF-340A, LV-CEJ. Taken on January 21, 2011, crashed on May 11, 2011:

juliuswong

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm

727LOVER wrote:
MH 370:

MH 17:

The MH B777-200ER Business Class was this:

MH17 was fully occupied and there were some passengers who were bumped off to following KLM flight due to overbooking. Most saddening part was there was a family of seven returning home for good for Eid celebration after spending few years in Kazakhstan, working for Shell. May all RIP.

gwrudolph

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Independence76 wrote:

Yes, the pic of JAL 123 with the missing tail is on Wikipedia and can be commonly found on the web.

chiki

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:24 pm

An interesting one LAM which kept C9-EMC on the inside cover of their magazine after it has crashed. It is still there though they rubbed out the Reg No.