m0ssy
Topic Author

Ever ask for permission to....

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:21 am

Ever ask for permission to....spot on someone else's private property? I'm tempted but wonder what kind of response I'll get. Right now I'm spoiled as all air traffic at my home airport has been on the east side due to taxiway construction on the main runway, with a nice access road right next to it. But it looks like it will all change soon and I need a way to face east in the evenings with the sun at my back.

I've found a farm road that appears to put me in pretty good position, but I'm wrangling with the idea of approaching a local farm owner if they'd let me out on that road wondering if I'll get shot at just asking the question.

Have any of you ever done this? What did you say? What was the response? Did you resort to bribery?

Thanks in advance!

James

JakTrax

Re: Ever ask for permission to....

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Go for it! The worst anyone can say is a succinct 'no'. Offer to both keep the field tidy and look out for anything suspicious.

United_fan

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 pm

I emailed out local FBO and they were more than nice . Gave me a note stating I was okay to be there and a parking pass.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

notaxonrotax

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 pm

I would just go there, if nobody tells you "no" you are not very wrong.
In case of an issue, just apologize.

Once they tell you "no" officially, you can`t really go anymore.
I have done this on numerous occasions, never really got me in trouble.

I have been rejected a few times when I tried to ask for permission though.......
It`s up to you!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

m0ssy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 am

notaxonrotax wrote:
I would just go there, if nobody tells you "no" you are not very wrong.
In case of an issue, just apologize.

Once they tell you "no" officially, you can`t really go anymore.
I have done this on numerous occasions, never really got me in trouble.

I have been rejected a few times when I tried to ask for permission though.......
It`s up to you!

No Tax On Rotax

This is conservative country, and everyone has guns. Add the border of the airport and I'd rather know in advance if they really don't want me around. It's a hay farm, so I'd wonder if they even care this time of year.

Thanks for the reply.

m0ssy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:56 am

United_fan wrote:
I emailed out local FBO and they were more than nice . Gave me a note stating I was okay to be there and a parking pass.

I'd be interested to know how you introduced yourself, or rather, described your purpose for wanting to hang around.

Thanks for the reply.

United_fan

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 am

m0ssy wrote:
United_fan wrote:

I'd be interested to know how you introduced yourself, or rather, described your purpose for wanting to hang around.

Thanks for the reply.

The FBO (USAirports in ROC)has a parking lot that I parked in that has good views of r/w 22 arrivals in the evening . People have been parking there instead of the cellphone lot . The FBO put up signs telling people not to wait for flights there . I just emailed them through their website. I stated,nicely,who I was and what I did. I provided a link to my pictures on the 'other' site. The boss' secretary emailed me back and said the boss says I'm okay to sit there and got my info for a parking pass in case the cops come around-which they have.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

jelpee
Screener

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I've done it several times with success. A polite and friendly approach goes a long way!

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

JakTrax

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 pm

There's a UPS car-park right next to Everts' ramp at ANC - it looked great for photos but rather than just parking without letting anyone know I wandered into the UPS building and asked at reception if it was okay. "No worries", they said, so off I went. I've also asked private landowners for use of their property and it's often been granted.

Karl