Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Plane Spotting at Dubai World Central / Dubai Air Show 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Have any A.netters had any plane spotting experiences at Dubai's new airport, Dubai World Central al Maktoum Airport?

The airport is some 70 kms away from the city center. I am not sure if there are any facilities for plane spotters to get pictures. It may not be a spotter friendly airport, or if there are places near the airport where it is possible to catch pictures of airplanes.

The Dubai Air Show is an all professional venue. Passes are for the whole duration of the air show. There are not any day passes. They are very particular on credentials, passports, business attire, business cards, and the like.

They used to have a "Sky View" section with grandstands available for the general public to watch the air show flying displays with an entry fee that wasn't outlandish. This Sky View place does not exist anymore. They will not have it for the upcoming Dubai Air Show.

There is a particular section of the airport grounds for the Dubai Air Show. I am not even sure the police would let anyone get pictures of the planes in the air show flying displays from the parking lots or anywhere around there.

They haven't even published information on which aircraft will be taking part in the flying display with the air show being just one month away.

http://www.dubaiairshow.aero/

Any information will be most appreciated.. Thank you very much in advance.

scbriml

Re: Plane Spotting at Dubai World Central / Dubai Air Show 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am

The Dubai air show has always been a "business only" show, but you see plenty of obviously non-professional or non-business visitors. While I've always dressed sensibly in a shirt and trousers (but certainly not a business suit), I've often seen guys wandering around in shorts and t-shirts. I've frequently bumped into other spotters at the show.

DWC isn't a great place for spotting and it's generally not a good idea in the UAE. However, watching and photographing planes while at the show is not an issue.

When applying for a ticket for previous shows, I've just said I'm a freelance aviation photographer and not had any problems. I even took my wife one year as my "assistant" (she wasn't best pleased about that!) I can't make it this year, so I can't say if they've tightened up their procedures for applying for tickets or not.

I've always had the impression that the whole "business only" thing is simply designed to stop masses of the public from turning up. That said, I've never heard of anyone who was unable to gain entry.

Hope you get in and enjoy it.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
The Dubai air show has always been a "business only" show, but you see plenty of obviously non-professional or non-business visitors. While I've always dressed sensibly in a shirt and trousers (but certainly not a business suit), I've often seen guys wandering around in shorts and t-shirts. I've frequently bumped into other spotters at the show.

DWC isn't a great place for spotting and it's generally not a good idea in the UAE. However, watching and photographing planes while at the show is not an issue.

When applying for a ticket for previous shows, I've just said I'm a freelance aviation photographer and not had any problems. I even took my wife one year as my "assistant" (she wasn't best pleased about that!) I can't make it this year, so I can't say if they've tightened up their procedures for applying for tickets or not.

I've always had the impression that the whole "business only" thing is simply designed to stop masses of the public from turning up. That said, I've never heard of anyone who was unable to gain entry.

Hope you get in and enjoy it.

My inquiry was about photographing airplanes but also about getting inside the air show. You gave me all the appropriate answers and then more...
for which I must say thank you.

Once I am inside the air show I will have access to the Airbus chalet. They will provide me with chalet access, but not with air show access so I will have to register on site and buy my air show pass when I am there.

I will certainly not show up at the place in shorts and tee shirt. I will have "casual business" wearables on me. With a chalet invite you never know who is going to show up in there, could be a Sheikh or two, or other high end officials. I have seen it at other air shows. Better look the part in this case.

Dubai is a small regional air show, nothing like Le Bourget, Farnborough or even Singapore. They just pretend they are "big".

I remember my Iranian friends registering at the air show with phony business names once they reached the site.

Do they really check people's passports and all that jazz at registration?

scbriml

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

MadameConcorde wrote:
Do they really check people's passports and all that jazz at registration?

I think it's just so they can check that the name on your photo-id (passport or driver's licence) matches the name on the ticket.