Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

santinieve
Topic Author

Canon T7i VS Canon Sl2

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 am

Hello all:
I was recently planning on buying the "Canon T7i" as I think it has a great value for money, great reviews and a great DSLR camera. Then a day ago I saw the existence of the SL2 which has almost the exact same features, but much smaller and more lightweight. And $50 dollars less which I can invest in a lens.
So I came to the difficult question of what camera should I be getting, the size will help a lot as it will be easier to move around, but what worries me and what makes me unsure is the difference in Focus Points 45 in the t7i vs 9 in the sl2. That is a huge difference, but my question is: how would that effect in day to day photography and or aviation photography? Luckily both of them have the same dual pixel focus for video, but for photos is the question.

Here is a link to the detailed comparison:
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon ... -Rebel-T7i

BTW: The use I would give the camera I buy would be the following:
would be photographs for events and family, random day to day photographs, Events, and what I care most about: Travel videos (Europe summer 2018 for example) and Planespotting/Car Spotting.

Any Tips will be greatly appreciated and will be taken seriously!

ThePointblank

Re: Canon T7i VS Canon Sl2

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 am

The T7i would be a better pick for anything action related. The T7i simply has more AF points, and they cover more of the viewfinder area. You can also use multipoint AF in the T7i, such as Zone focusing is very advantageous when shooting fast moving objects, and you don't have to use focus and recompose if your subject is not where the AF points are.

Also, the T7i has a higher continuous shooting speed, and a bigger buffer, so your camera doesn't slow down when rattling off lots of quick shots in succession.

JakTrax

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:19 pm

For most applications the number of focus points is perhaps immaterial; more to the point is how good the AF of your lens is. I have an old 50D and a much newer 80D - the 50D has 9 AF points and the 80D has 45 (so the same comparison, more-or-less), yet my 'keeper' rate is no higher with the 80D. Ask yourself how many times you're realistically going to need 45 AF points. The continuous shoot capability requires much less thought - the more frames you can shoot per second, the better the chance of capturing the 'one' shot you want. Still, there's not a great deal of difference between the two.

Don't get caught up in what more modern cameras with extra bells and whistles offer - in reality you very likely won't need the extra 'gadgetry'. As you suggested, spend the savings on better glass.

Karl

ThePointblank

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 am

JakTrax wrote:
For most applications the number of focus points is perhaps immaterial; more to the point is how good the AF of your lens is. I have an old 50D and a much newer 80D - the 50D has 9 AF points and the 80D has 45 (so the same comparison, more-or-less), yet my 'keeper' rate is no higher with the 80D. Ask yourself how many times you're realistically going to need 45 AF points. The continuous shoot capability requires much less thought - the more frames you can shoot per second, the better the chance of capturing the 'one' shot you want. Still, there's not a great deal of difference between the two.

Don't get caught up in what more modern cameras with extra bells and whistles offer - in reality you very likely won't need the extra 'gadgetry'. As you suggested, spend the savings on better glass.

Karl

He's going to run into the limits of the SL2 much quicker than the T7i; I own a T6i and especially for aviation and air show photography, I'm running into the limits of the camera already after a little over a year of ownership.

The big issues I'm running into is the low buffer size for both RAW and JPEG (meaning I have to limit my fast action shooting to prevent fill the buffer, even with the fastest SD cards available), and I can use larger coverage area for autofocus, with more sensitivity for low light situations. Oh, and more dynamic range would help.

JakTrax

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 pm

I'd agree with the buffer size being the first limitation you'll encounter, but I'd have to disagree on DR as it really doesn't make that much difference in typical aviation photography. I've been photographing aircraft for 25 years and I never really took the 350D to its full potential, save for the buffer limitation and burst rate. In fact, the 50D's image quality overall is better than that of the 80D (and the 30D better than the 50D), certainly on a per-pixel basis. Aviation photography, whilst no doubt a fine art, isn't overly demanding on camera bodies.

It's mostly down to the photographer, and I'd say 80% of camera gripes are in fact user error. Sure, if you can comfortably afford an all singing, all dancing camera, go for it, but it's not going to make your photos any better. It might make life easier, but easier doesn't always equate to better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should be more concerned with the lens you attach to your camera, rather than the camera itself. You should also make sure you understand the camera and its limitations fully, so that you can work around any snags.

NJOpsGuy

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:06 am

To pile on a bit, it’s much more important to understand how photography works than to have the best possible equipment. If you haven’t taken a class in photography (and/or videography), you’re not going to get nearly as much out of your camera as you’d like, no matter how many bells and whistles you have or how good your glass is. It’ll be a long, difficult learning curve before you’re proficient enough with your equipment to get appreciable results.

Spend the money on your glass and some reasonably good equipment, but don’t forget your photography education.