Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redcoat78
Topic Author

Tips for Photos from Helicopters

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi guys,
finally I have been granted to fly onboard the AB212 for a reconnaissance flight over MXP airport.
I wonder if anyone of you got the same opportunity and which apparel and tips you suggest.
I own 2 camerassa bodies equipped with Canon 100-400, 28/135 and Sigma wideangle 10/20.
Thank you

Re: Tips for Photos from Helicopters

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:30 am

I've done this a number of times including chasing planes down the runway as they takeoff (that took a bit of extra planning).

You will be fine with the Canon 100-400mm and the 28-135. I don't know if you'll need the wide angle 10-20mm, you won't have enough time to swap the lenses over and if the door is removed it'll likely be a bit too gusty inside the cabin to do so anyway.

The times I did it last I was using the following camera setup:
Nikon D3S + 200-400mm F/4.0 VR Zoom-Nikkor
Nikon D800E + 70-200mm F/2.8 VR II Zoom-Nikkor

I suggest upping the shutter speeds a bit (maybe use the increase ISO a bit to do this) and the aperture I kept at F/8.0 or F/9.0. This worked out fine. My usual shutter speeds I'd use on the ground were 1/100sec in daylight, so in the helicopter I was usually 1/400sec or so, only because you don't get a chance to get the shots a second time.

Where I am, I think helicopter spotting has become the normal thing as everyone sought to get out-do the people who had access to the quite elevated ATC tower balcony. Expensive though, $800+ per hour in the local currency. I can't i

redcoat78
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 am

did you shot at other flying choppers? Unfortunately is not my case so I will focus with cockpit photographs, although after a couple it shyould be enough and other kind of photos that could be through the window at the airport scenes, control tower...

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Not photographing other helicopters, only large airliners like B777, B747, A380, MD-11 and the B767. In all cases, we took the door off the helicopter so I was able to take the photos however we wanted with the agreement of air traffic control.

The wide angle lens will be handy for the airport overview photos.

Although the below was with a 200-400mm at 360mm:

Others were more like this:
400mm for the above, taken from across the runway.
Last one at 280mm

And 330mm for this one, but with 35mm full frame DSLR though.

jrowson

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am

I've only done it once and the biggest recommendation I have is to keep the shutter speed up. There are all sorts of vibrations going on and gusty winds if you're hanging out the side of the helicopter and I did loose a few shots to blurriness.