lightningzap
Topic Author

How take good night water salute pictures

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 am

I am looking to take pictures of an inaugural 787 flight that will be arriving at my home city soon. Problem is that this flight will arrive at 9pm so I won't have good lighting conditions but I need to get a good shot of the water salute. The plane will be turning into the gate while the salute is happening and I will be above the gate looking down diagonally towards the location. What will be the best way to get a grain free non blurry photo of this rate event?

HarryLi

Re: How take good night water salute pictures

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Actually,i don't have experience in taking night water salute shots. But i saw some photos here you can have a look.

And maybe you can E-mail ( Contact ) them by using" contact "function here to ask some detail !
Also can wait here ,but that using two ways to get the answer would be faster than only staying here i think ;) .

Cheers,
Harry
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

scbriml

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:32 pm

lightningzap wrote:
What will be the best way to get a grain free non blurry photo of this rate event?

"grain free" - use the lowest ISO setting possible

"non blurry" - use as high a shutter speed as possible

I suspect you'll need a tripod or at least a monopod. Shutter speed less of an issue if using a tripod, but more of an issue if plane is moving (which from your description, it will be). Movement will be less of an issue if the plane is nose-on moving towards you, more of an issue if side-on moving across your field of view.

Unfortunately, low ISO and high shutter speed is a tricky combo in the dark!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 pm

scbriml wrote:
lightningzap wrote:
What will be the best way to get a grain free non blurry photo of this rate event?

"grain free" - use the lowest ISO setting possible

"non blurry" - use as high a shutter speed as possible

I suspect you'll need a tripod or at least a monopod. Shutter speed less of an issue if using a tripod, but more of an issue if plane is moving (which from your description, it will be). Movement will be less of an issue if the plane is nose-on moving towards you, more of an issue if side-on moving across your field of view.

Unfortunately, low ISO and high shutter speed is a tricky combo in the dark!

I will above and diagonal to the plane looking down on the plane and forward.