Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shattuckb02
Topic Author

Lens flare killing night shots

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:51 am

Hello, everyone. I have been fighting what feels like a losing battle recently with my night shots. My foe has been lens flare! Do any of you have tips on how to reduce this issue? The other night I was taking some shots of C-17s parked on the ramp at SAT, but I kept getting small "orbs" of flare in the photo. Most "orbs" appeared in the dark sky, but some actually appeared on the aircraft, ruining the shot. I was using a lens hood, and made sure there was no direct light in the lens' field of view. I was shooting a 70D with a 70-300 L lens, at f/8. I've found conflicting information on the interwebs, so I was wondering if any of you had some words of wisdom... Thank you!

dvincent

Re: Lens flare killing night shots

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 am

Are you using a UV filter?

If so, remove it.

Miguel1982

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 am

Also make sure that the front glass element is clean. Any dust spots there can show up as glare when hit by light.

JakTrax

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Sorry, posted asking what lens you were using then realised you've supplied that detail......

shattuckb02
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm

dvincent wrote:
Are you using a UV filter?

If so, remove it.

I wasn't using a UV filter.

Miguel1982 wrote:
Also make sure that the front glass element is clean. Any dust spots there can show up as glare when hit by light.

Front glass looks clean. Would a smaller aperture, such as f/11 or smaller, make a difference?

mx330

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 am

Maybe a direct source of light in the frame? like a light post or so? or other light source(s)...
Try using the lens hood to prevent glare and lens flare.

Juan

speedbored

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Given that you say you are using a lens hood, no filter, and are avoiding direct sources of light in the field of view then the most likely causes are, imo:
a) Direct sources of light that are outside of the field of view but which are still projecting light onto the lens surface. This is more likely if you are using a zoom lens at less than the widest aperture, or if your lens hood is not field-of-view shaped, as most lens hoods only provides full shielding from out-of-frame sources at the widest setting and when they are correctly shaped for the specific lens.
b) Dirt on the lens. Even if the lens looks clean, there might be a thin film of dirt (grease or oil is especially hard to see if it is widespread). Scrupulously clean your lens using a good lens cleaning solution (e.g. with lens cleaning "wet-wipes").

vikkyvik

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 pm

mx330 wrote:
Maybe a direct source of light in the frame? like a light post or so? or other light source(s)...Try using the lens hood to prevent glare and lens flare.

It helps if you read his post:

shattuckb02 wrote:
I was using a lens hood, and made sure there was no direct light in the lens' field of view.

;)

ThePointblank

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 am

Check the sensor and give it a good blowing out with a rocket blower if there is dust on it, or if it's really bad, consider taking your camera to a camera shop to get it professionally cleaned.

Also, watch the surrounding lights around you; you might want to change vantage points or hold up something large to block the light source from the front of your lens.

shattuckb02
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Thank you all for the insight!