Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KICT
Topic Author

Editing on 4K/Retina Displays

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

I'm thinking about getting back into spotting and uploading to A.net. Since I last uploaded, A.net and technology has come a long way. Does anyone have recommendations in terms of workflow, etc. for higher resolution displays, i.e. MacBook Retina or 4K? I noticed A.net isn't exactly "4K" ready. Seems a lot of the photos are upscaled for viewing on the larger resolution computers. Any assistance is appreciated!

zwestfall

Re: Editing on 4K/Retina Displays

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi,

What I'm finding with the high density display is that it really masks imperfections when viewing at 100%, so make sure you are looking at your images at at least 200% when scrutinizing, sharpening etc.. Also, have a look at your finished edit on a large, low density display just to make sure you haven't overlooked anything.

Cheers

sqpax

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 pm

zwestfall wrote:
Hi,

What I'm finding with the high density display is that it really masks imperfections when viewing at 100%, so make sure you are looking at your images at at least 200% when scrutinizing, sharpening etc.. Also, have a look at your finished edit on a large, low density display just to make sure you haven't overlooked anything.

Cheers

Well put! I had just started my post processing on a new iMac with 27" Retina 5K display in the past couple of weeks. The photos look stunning! I find myself thinking that the image is just fine after it's cropped and there is nothing else to do......little did I know. I've ran into a rash of rejections this past week, mostly due to blurry or soft. No more over sharpened images, that's for sure! I am going to go back to my Windows set up for LR and PS. I think it's more reflective of the real world at this time. I will use the iMac for viewing my collection once the adjustments have been made. It really is an amazing display.

ua935

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

sqpax wrote:
zwestfall wrote:
Hi,

Cheers

Well put! I had just started my post processing on a new iMac with 27" Retina 5K display in the past couple of weeks. The photos look stunning! I find myself thinking that the image is just fine after it's cropped and there is nothing else to do......little did I know. I've ran into a rash of rejections this past week, mostly due to blurry or soft. No more over sharpened images, that's for sure! I am going to go back to my Windows set up for LR and PS. I think it's more reflective of the real world at this time. I will use the iMac for viewing my collection once the adjustments have been made. It really is an amazing display.

All you need to do is run your Retina screen in low resolution mode. Go system preferences>Displays and then click scaled, select 2560 x 1440 low resolution and hey presto there you go.

I've had my iMac since October 2015, have always run the screen in low resolution mode and have no issues what so ever with editing images.