captainzain
Topic Author

Plane spotter camera

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey there guys, hope your all doing well.
Was wondering if you guys can help me out with a good Camera for plane spotting. I am wanting to spend around £500-600, don't know if that's enough but I just want something good enough to take some ace pictures!! :D I use to spot at Manchester Airport (EGCC). I was planning a trip down next week and was wanting a new camera. I currently have a Nikon camera, it's not a DSLR. It's the Nikon coolpix L120. I am pretty new to all the plane spotting things so was hoping you guys can give me some plane spotting tips too.

Thank you very much for your time guys
Zain

jelpee
Crew

Re: Plane spotter camera

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Zain, it all depends on your end objective. I use Nikon gear and have some money invested in the equipment in order to get sales quality images as well as meet the acceptance standards here on airliners.net. On the other hand, I've got some decent images using my iPhone as well. Any DSLR body will do as will a mid priced zoom lens. If you're looking to capture images from airshows or do a lot of low light photography, a more expensive body and lens become necessary to obtain high quality pictures. I can't speak for other brands, but in the Nikon family, the D3400 and Nikon's 70-300mm lens might be a decent combination to consider. Perhaps some Canon or Sony users will weigh in on their views as well.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

captainzain
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 pm

jelpee wrote:
Zain, it all depends on your end objective. I use Nikon gear and have some money invested in the equipment in order to get sales quality images as well as meet the acceptance standards here on airliners.net. On the other hand, I've got some decent images using my iPhone as well. Any DSLR body will do as will a mid priced zoom lens. If you're looking to capture images from airshows or do a lot of low light photography, a more expensive body and lens become necessary to obtain high quality pictures. I can't speak for other brands, but in the Nikon family, the D3400 and Nikon's 70-300mm lens might be a decent combination to consider. Perhaps some Canon or Sony users will weigh in on their views as well.

Jehan

Hey Jehan. Thank you very much for your reply. I am looking for a camera that is going to take really good still pictures, so like more day pictures but some low light photography, so like night airport pushbacks... But the night photography is going to be something i do very rarely. I am looking for a camera that i can grow into, as i am pretty much new to aircraft photography. I definitely like the idea of the D3400 and will look into that. I think the price is quite decent on it too. Would love to hear from other viewers too.

Thank you for your time Jehan
Zain

ThePointblank

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 am

Canon Rebel T6i with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens would be in the budget range. The Rebel has a better AF system, a tilt-swivel touch screen, and less shutter lag. If you can swing it, the T7i is a even better option, with a even better AF system.

JakTrax

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Consider mirrorless as well - very small, light and discreet, with quality matching that of a DSLR.

seahawk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 am

Only if the sensor size is the same, which is not a given.

If the sensor size is the same the size advantage is reduced by a lot.

I think entry level DSLRs from Canon and Nikon offer the best bang for buck at the moment. Nikon D3400 + 55-300DX is a workable solution.

JakTrax

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm

It's a given if you buy Canon, Fuji or Sony..... ;-)

The Sony A5000 is the world's smallest APS-C sensor camera and it's a heck of a lot smaller than even the Canon EOS 100D.

There are advantages to mirrorless... and I'm not a fan boy as I use both a Sony CSC and Canon DSLRs. One great benefit of mirrorless is that a lot of the lenses fit right through chainlink fences - given increasing security worldwide it's a huge advantage.

All I'm saying is investigate mirrorless because you may be missing out by not doing so. It's not for everyone but it works for me. Even micro 4/3 cameras with the latest technology can produce results similar to those of a DSLR.

ThePointblank

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 am

JakTrax wrote:
It's a given if you buy Canon, Fuji or Sony..... ;-)

The Sony A5000 is the world's smallest APS-C sensor camera and it's a heck of a lot smaller than even the Canon EOS 100D.

There are advantages to mirrorless... and I'm not a fan boy as I use both a Sony CSC and Canon DSLRs. One great benefit of mirrorless is that a lot of the lenses fit right through chainlink fences - given increasing security worldwide it's a huge advantage.

All I'm saying is investigate mirrorless because you may be missing out by not doing so. It's not for everyone but it works for me. Even micro 4/3 cameras with the latest technology can produce results similar to those of a DSLR.

Don't be intimidated or discouraged if you are forced to shoot through chain link fence; you just have to know how to do it.

I would get up close to the fence, aim at targets further away from the fence line, use a large aperture, try to shoot through sections of the fence in the shade, and center the lens in front of an opening. You might also want to have your hands on the focus ring on the lens to help the camera focus in on the subject behind the fence, instead of on the fence itself.

If you are using a longer focal length lens, the fence will effectively vanish, though you might see some minor artifacts in the image. It is a trick that works really well in any situation where you are forced to shoot through a fence, such as at a zoo.

JakTrax

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Knowing how to do it doesn't negate any real limitations of shooting through fences. If your subject's very close to the fence, a shallow DOF is useless; there's also the issue of your front lens element diameter which, if greater than about 58mm, makes things extremely difficult. Trust me, I'm a competent photographer and at times I've tried every possible trick to get the 'through-the-fence' shot, to no avail. Also remember that the wide aperture trick doesn't magically make the fence disappear - it simply makes it less and less visible until it's so faint that its effect becomes insignificant.

Bottom line: you can't reliably shoot through chainlink fences 50% of the time. There are no worries with many mirrorless lenses as they fit right through.