Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

About taking Cockpit Photos

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello , guys
I have some flights this month and i plan to visit the cockpit and take some photos of it. Although i don't know is it allow to visit now. But according to the experience before ... all of the photos that i took in the cockpit were overexposed outside the windows. Just like this ...

And i saw a lot of cockpit photos in Database but their photos are normal instead of overexposed. So would you please share your experience ? Just like some settings or data ? Very appreciate.

Besides, i also wonder that how to take good quality cockpit photos at night as i have 2 flights are night flight so if it is possible i can go and get some of it.And i don't consider that i will stay too long inside the cockpit if i can get inside which means that i need to take them quickly ~ I don't have night shot cockpit experience so hope you guys can give me some advice ! Thanks so much !  :D

My camera sets are :
24 - 105 + 5D2
Thank you for your valuable time !

Cheers,
Harry

airkas1

Re: About taking Cockpit Photos

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:25 pm

> get an external flash
> set mode to Automatic
> focus on the outside
> remember settings
> set mode to Manual (I usually end up toning down the ISO from 400 to 200)
> make sure external flash is on
> take photo
> check result, adjust settings if necessary

For night photos, definitely don't use any flash. I would suggest an ISO value of 1600 or higher, maybe F4 - 6.3 and a shutter speed that is not too low that you end up with blurry photos (so maybe 1/60 - 80 at max). I don't have experience with in-flight night photos on a flight deck, but that's what I would first do. Of course it's trial and error, so adjusting on the scene is likely necessary.

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:45 pm

airkas1 wrote:
> get an external flash
> set mode to Automatic
> focus on the outside
> remember settings
> take photo

For night photos, definitely don't use any flash. I would suggest an ISO value of 1600 or higher, maybe F4 - 6.3 and a shutter speed that is not too low that you end up with blurry photos (so maybe 1/60 - 80 at max). I don't have experience with in-flight night photos on a flight deck, but that's what I would first do. Of course it's trial and error, so adjusting on the scene is likely necessary.

Thank you for your suggestion Kas ;)
But i still confuse some points.
you have mentioned 2 times change mode :
> set mode to Automatic

Are they the same thing that you want to say ? :?: (Iso mode or taking photo mode or something else ? :roll: Please forgive my understanding :mrgreen: )

Besides,
> focus on the outside

Is it possible to have blurry if i focus outside , i mean the things inside are out of focus (Maybe ?) . And regarding to the focusing problem i also wonder that which type of Focusing mode should i use ? :idea: All points with one shot , single center points with one shot or others ?

And here, so it is necessary to use External Flash ? Because i didn't use it before. :?:

Thank you again ! :D

Cheers,
Harry

airkas1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:50 pm

No, they are 2 different things.

The focusing outside is purely to get the settings for the outside exposure. Basically, you set your camera for a correct exposure of the areas outside the cockpit and the flash will then illuminate the inside of the cockpit. Just use your normal focusing mode. I've added a word in the workflow to maybe explain it better:

> get an external flash
> set mode to Automatic
> focus on the outside
> remember settings
> set mode to Manual (I usually end up toning down the ISO from 400 to 200) and focus again
> take photo

An external flash is not necessary, but I prefer it. Try to practise it in your car before you go on the trip. Sit on the back seat and try to take a photo towards the front. Use the workflow as described above.

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:59 pm

airkas1 wrote:
No, they are 2 different things.

The focusing outside is purely to get the settings for the outside exposure. Basically, you set your camera for a correct exposure of the areas outside the cockpit and the flash will then illuminate the inside of the cockpit. Just use your normal focusing mode. I've added a word in the workflow to maybe explain it better:

> get an external flash
> set mode to Automatic
> focus on the outside
> remember settings
> set mode to Manual (I usually end up toning down the ISO from 400 to 200) and focus again
> take photo

An external flash is not necessary, but I prefer it. Try to practise it in your car before you go on the trip. Sit on the back seat and try to take a photo towards the front. Use the workflow as described above.

Oh ! I understand now ~ !
Thank you for your explanation and providing such a good way to practise ! :D
Thank you for your time ! ;)
Cheers,
Harry

Miguel1982

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 am

Basically with that method you want to have a proper exposure for the outside, as you cannot change the light there, and illuminate with the flash the inside, adjusting its power until it more-or-less matches the outside. The lower the difference between inside and outside (cloudy days, dusk, dawn, even night), the easier it should be.

Looking forward to the results!

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:50 am

Miguel1982 wrote:
Basically with that method you want to have a proper exposure for the outside, as you cannot change the light there, and illuminate with the flash the inside, adjusting its power until it more-or-less matches the outside. The lower the difference between inside and outside (cloudy days, dusk, dawn, even night), the easier it should be.

Thank you Miguel :)
I think I should practice a lot follow you and Kas instruction before do it inside the cockpit. :D

Cheers,
Harry

Kaphias

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 pm

HarryLi wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:

I think I should practice a lot follow you and Kas instruction before do it inside the cockpit. :D

Cheers,
Harry

A great place to practice if you don't have access to an airplane is in a small dark room with a window- similar to a cockpit. As Miguel said, expose for outside and practice using the flash to properly illuminate the interior. You can also place screens (computer, phone) in the frame to simulate screens in the cockpit.

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Kaphias wrote:
HarryLi wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:

Cheers,
Harry

A great place to practice if you don't have access to an airplane is in a small dark room with a window- similar to a cockpit. As Miguel said, expose for outside and practice using the flash to properly illuminate the interior. You can also place screens (computer, phone) in the frame to simulate screens in the cockpit.

:o It sounds like a good idea ! More convenient than the car , well, i will try both places ! Thanks ~
:bigthumbsup:

Cheers,
Harry

glen

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:10 pm

A big issue are the screens. With CRT's you need an exposure time of 1/60s or longer, due to the renewal rate of the image. Otherwise not the full screen display will be shown. Even then, with the exposure set correctly for the outside, there is not enough light from the screens in order to be seen on the picture - and the flash does not help in this case. For me, I haven't yet found a solution for this problem (except if you had a real HDR capable camera). So it leaves me with dark screens:

To have the displays visible you need to have either night shots, or if you are lucky you have the same brightness inside and outside of the cockpit - but that's only available for a few minutes during sunrise or sunset:

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm

glen wrote:
A big issue are the screens. With CRT's you need an exposure time of 1/60s or longer, due to the renewal rate of the image. Otherwise not the full screen display will be shown. Even then, with the exposure set correctly for the outside, there is not enough light from the screens in order to be seen on the picture - and the flash does not help in this case. For me, I haven't yet found a solution for this problem (except if you had a real HDR capable camera). So it leaves me with dark screens:

To have the displays visible you need to have either night shots, or if you are lucky you have the same brightness inside and outside of the cockpit - but that's only available for a few minutes during sunrise or sunset:

Thank you for your tips Glen ;) . I didn't notice this this point before. But i think it can be accepted although the screens do not show ? ( Although i hope it can be shown :rotfl: ). That's a little bit tough to solve :?

Cheers,
Harry

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 pm

HarryLi wrote:
And i saw a lot of cockpit photos in Database but their photos are normal instead of overexposed.

I just want to point out....

There are plenty of cockpit photos in the A.net database with overexposed windows. Far as I know, that's allowed on A.net, provided that they aren't TOO distracting.

Of course, it's certainly better to get the exposure correct inside and outside, but just wanted to mention that.

HarryLi
Screener
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 am

vikkyvik wrote:
HarryLi wrote:
And i saw a lot of cockpit photos in Database but their photos are normal instead of overexposed.

I just want to point out....

There are plenty of cockpit photos in the A.net database with overexposed windows. Far as I know, that's allowed on A.net, provided that they aren't TOO distracting.

Of course, it's certainly better to get the exposure correct inside and outside, but just wanted to mention that.

Yes,i saw them too. But ... when i uploaded the photo that i showed in this post to A.net .. they still gave me Overexposure. Anyway , get the correct exposure should be better .