G-CIVP
Topic Author

Hamburg G20

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 pm

As some may know, the next G20 Summit is being held in Hamburg in the first week of July. Can any local photographers give any advice on the arrangements, e.g. will photographers be welcome within reason or is the whole airport going to be cordoned off? Also, any ideas on the likely departure runway?

airkas1
Crew

Re: Hamburg G20

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:27 am

A fellow HS linked me this site earlier and I found some useful info: http://www.eddh-airport.de/wordpress/?page_id=4956

The most important info quoted below:
First of all the most important facts:

* According to this article, the railway 33 is blocked up to the cross and used as a storage area. The result is that there is no landing over the runway 33 and also not over the runway 15 (too high risk for parked airplanes).
* Thus the runway 05/23 is used for landings and starts are shortened over the 33.
* Terraces and car parks will remain open, unless the security situation changes, a short-term closure would be possible. ATTENTION! As announced today (June 26, 2017), the terraces, car park 1, 2 and 5 will not be accessible. Anyone who goes to one of the car parks in order to take photos must expect to be relegated by the security forces of the localities!
* The Coffee 2 Fly will remain open and is suitable for photos in the morning. From the Wrangelkoppel road, the road will be blocked for vehicles. Except bicycles and pedestrians.
* The road Weg beim Jäger will be completely blocked and also surrounding streets can be blocked in case of need.
* The Café Himmelschreiber will not be accessible from the 7th – 9th of July 2017.

I'm planning of heading over tomorrow until Friday, since it's a relatively short drive. I'm bringing a bike too, which was suggested to me by aforementioned screener. This due to road blockages some areas may be accessible by bike but not by car.

There is another link that says 'important information', but it's shielded behind a password (which I don't know): http://www.eddh-airport.de/wordpress/?page_id=4936

Hope it helps you anyway!
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

tommy1808

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:32 am

G-CIVP wrote:
As some may know, the next G20 Summit is being held in Hamburg in the first week of July. Can any local photographers give any advice on the arrangements, e.g. will photographers be welcome within reason or is the whole airport going to be cordoned off? Also, any ideas on the likely departure runway?

The Airport is pretty much smack in the city, if you pick a good vantage point there isn´t a way to keep you from taking good pictures.

You can also expect significant riots in the city.

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

airkas1
Crew

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am

tommy1808 wrote:

Are locations of those known? Or will it be 'uncontrolled' (no official places to protest etc.)?

tommy1808

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

airkas1 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Are locations of those known? Or will it be 'uncontrolled' (no official places to protest etc.)?

well, there will be both. Really large, normal marches with somewhere between 50 and 100k people will march here:

All around the red areas you can expect somewhere between 5000 and 10000 violent protesters to breech the security perimeter. I would not recommend parking a car anywhere near either areas.

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

airkas1
Crew

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 am

Great info, thanks!! My hotel is South-East of XFW, so I think I'll be fine there. And this all seems downtown Hamburg, so parking close/in the approach of runway 23 should be alright I think.

In addition to HAM, does you (or anyone else) know if/to what extent XFW is blocked off for photography? I'm planning on spending time there tomorrow and Friday.