JakTrax
Topic Author

Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II worth it? Plus grey fringing issue on high megapixel bodies...

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi All,

Seem to be posting rather often lately......

Looking at the 24-70 f/2.8L II with envious eyes - is it really so much noticeably better than other 24-70s and the 24-105s?

I bought the 24-105 f/4L back in 2010 and was very pleased with it on my 50D, but (more recently) not overwhelmed on the 80D and very disappointed on the 6D. So I bought the MkII, which had decent optics but terrible AF shift issues; I tried and returned two copies. Next I bought the Sigma 24-105 f/4 Art, which is easily the best of the bunch (the majority of the time), however it seems to lose some of its sharpness on the 80D (superb on the 50D and 6D however). I'm now left wondering if I should just bite the bullet and splash out on the 24-70 f/2.8 II, which apparently is the daddy in this focal length range. But I'm also wondering whether the results would be too much different to lenses I own/have previously owned? I'm also looking at the 24-70 f/4 L IS, which seems to get very mixed reviews (which tells me that Canon's quality control with this product differs wildly!).

Looking at DXOMark, the 24-70 f/2.8 II is the clear winner by quite a margin, but the Sigma isn't that far behind. The 24-70 f/4 and original 24-105 f/4 lag some way back, but the former is considered better. I know DXOMark compile only lab test results rather than real-world performance, but it's a decent enough reference. Add to this apparently impressive offerings from Tamron and Tokina and I'm swamped with choices, although with no clear path to personal satisfaction.

One thing I have noticed with all the lenses I've discussed above (with the exception of the 24-70 f/2.8L II, which I can't comment on) is that they often (but not always) produce a fine, whitish-grey fringing (specifically around the cockpit windows and the bottom of the nose-gear door) when used on higher megapixel bodies, such as the 80D and 6D. Anyone know what causes this, and if indeed it is a type of CA?

Cheers,
Karl

nb7760

Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II worth it? Plus grey fringing issue on high megapixel bodies...

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 am

Why not try the new Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art? It's far cheaper than the Canon and knowing Sigma it probably has better image quality. But to be honest, the difference between either of the two and the 24-105 is going to be marginal. My suggestion is to pick up a few primes just and go shoot. “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” -Ansel Adams

The fringing issue you described is most likely the result of blooming, as explained in this article here: http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/shoo ... -explained
A319, A320, A321, A333, A343, A359, 737, 738, 744, 752, 763ER, 773, 77W, C208B, EC-130, PA-28

JakTrax
Topic Author

Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II worth it? Plus grey fringing issue on high megapixel bodies...

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for your response. The new Sigma 24-70 isn't available yet and I need something pretty quick; it's also expensive, at least here in the UK where it will retail for £1399 (I can get the Canon f/2.8 for just under £1200). I did briefly consider primes but, having looked at my most shot at focal lengths at my local airports, it's just not going to work effectively. I'd rather lose a little sharpness than have to go cropping images more than I'd like, and that loss of sharpness is certainly preferable to the potential loss of the opportunity to get the shot.

I have ordered the Canon EF 24-70 f/4 L IS, with the option to return and swap for something else if I'm not satisfied. Reviews are very mixed but suggest that later copies are much more consistent than those manufactured shortly after introduction. In fact, some reviews claim that it's noticeably sharper throughout its range than the original 24-105 f/4 L IS (which would also likely make it sharper than the 24-105 II).

The blooming issue certainly sounds like what I'm seeing, to a degree, however it seems to more affect cameras with EVFs/smaller CCD sensors? Also, the fringing is either grey or white - not purple or red - however it does only occur along bright, white edges. Since my web searches haven't come up with anything concrete I'm happy to go along with your diagnosis, although another suspect I've considered is general edge softness giving the illusion of some sort of fringing.

I'll do more reading up on blooming.

Cheers,
Karl

JKPhotos

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Karl,

if I hadn't had the backfocus issue, I would have kept the 24-70 f4 L. Those shots that were correctly focused were really as sharp as it gets. And I got it new for around 800 EUR, which is a good prive. Try yours, perhaps you have more luck with your copy!

I am now on a 24-105 / f4 Mark I, I don't notice a huge difference personally, the 24-70 was perhaps marginally sharper, but for me the extra range is useful, as I am only using one body.

Cheers,
Julien

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Julien,

The original 24-105 was decent on crop bodies, but pretty awful on FF. It was also weakest at 24mm, with pretty bad distortion. The Sigma is far better - particularly between 24 and 50mm - but it isn't as sharp on my 24mp 80D as it is on my 50D or 6D. I've basically been looking for the holy grail of lenses in that focal range - one that will be sharp on all my cameras. A tough ask, but I'll spend the money if need be. If the 24-70 f/4 fits the bill, I'll have saved a good deal of cash!

Going back to the 24-105 f/4 L II, it's optically ever-so-slightly better than the original, especially at the wide end, however the two copies I had (and subsequently returned) suffered from terrible back/front focus and focus shift, to the point where AFMA was useless. The only practical way to achieve good results was to use one-shot AF, which became trickier with moving subjects. CA was also an issue, despite Canon's claims that it had been improved. If you do ever feel the need to upgrade, a worthy replacement for the original 24-105 is certainly Sigma's version.

With both Sigma and Tamron about to release the latest incarnations of their 24-70 f/2.8s, it's going to make decisions a lot more complicated!

Karl

JKPhotos

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 am

Hey Karl,

this could be it: I am using the 24-105 on a crop body and I am pretty satisfied with its overall performance. But I agree that the distortion at 24mm is horrible. I hadn't expect it to be like that, of course it is easy to be removed but you'll lose focal range with it.

However the distortion was also clearly visible on the 24-70, but if I compare Images it is less significant.

I hope you will find the lense which is sharp on all your bodies! I can imagine that it isn't easy to find, especially with the variable quality on the Canon lenses depending on the copy you get.

Julien

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Briefly tried the new 24-70 f/4 L IS this evening and initial results are very positive. Specifically tested it at 50mm as that's the focal length where many copies are apparently at their weakest, yet every photo I took is pin sharp! Obviously need to do much more testing but not got a single image I'm unhappy with.

Karl

Dehowie

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:11 pm

G'day Karl,
If you want the best 24-70 range lens just get the 24-79/2.8II.
Its blusteringly sharp.
Has some distortion but easily corrected.
Its resolution is stunning.
These images are used by ANA i took in calenders which are roughly 1meter across and look brilliant in orint.
No negatives other than lack if stabilizer. However i tested the Tamiron and sharpness was nice stepped down but AF stability far from acceptable.

ttps://photos.smugmug.com/Civil-Aviatio ... dit-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Civil-Aviati ... dit-X3.jpg
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

marky

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Karl

How are you finding the 24-70 f4 after your initial testing? I'm going through a similar decision process at the moment and torn between that lens and the Sigma 24-105.

Mark

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Mark,

I received a copy that was sold as new but was clearly not. Despite the fact that it was optically perfect, I simply couldn't accept it having paid full price. The replacement is superb after 60mm but, apparently typical of this lens, surprisingly poor at 40-50mm (particularly on the left-hand side of the frame).

I have told the store that I will be seeking a replacement until I get one that matches the first copy (with which they seem okay). If I succeed, I will be VERY happy as that one was pin-sharp across the frame at all focal lengths.

Canon really should get their QC right!

marky

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks Karl, helpful to know. I remain undecided but clearly the Canon needs thoroughly testing!

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:59 pm

The first copy really was stunning - slightly sharper than even the mighty Sigma 24-105 f/4 - however I just wasn't prepared to pay £725 for something that was so obviously used. Hopefully the next copy will be okay and I won't regret returning that first example.....

If you think you'd miss the extra 35mm reach of the Sigma, then it's a no brainer - the Sigma is certainly sharper than both the Canon 24-105 f/4 L I and II. The only negative thing about the Sigma is that, occasionally, the AF isn't quite as accurate as the Canons, which is no doubt to do with it not being a 'native' lens. The Norwegian livery often seems to give the Sigma some grief, however temporarily putting the camera into one-shot AF typically resolves the issue. Another possible remedy is focusing on the red front fuselage, although I've not had chance to try this.

My theory about loss of focus lock on airliners is that there's an awful lot of very bright, contrast-less white involved, which seems to be able to throw the focus in certain circumstances.