Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Useful info re Sony E-mount CSCs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm

All,

I bought a Sony A5000 two years ago as a discreet travel camera, and also to poke through fences when steps aren't an option. Most reviews of Sony CSCs are very positive, but they all complain about the screen only tilting up (for selfies, basically), meaning that you cannot shoot with the camera held above your head. Since this extra height is very useful in aviation photography, I always lamented over why Sony chose not to fully articulate their screens.

Anyway, I've been using the A5000 more frequently since I invested in a couple of Sigma's new Art primes; the other day I was trying to get above a fence and decided to attempt to use the camera upside-down (above my head), so that I could see the screen from below. Awkward but my only option. What nothing in the manual tells you is that the image flips so that it is the 'right' way up - the camera basically senses that it's inverted and assumes you're wanting to use it above head height.

I tried this several times and it works perfectly. The image even ends up being displayed the right way up when you preview it on the rear LCD!

I'm very surprised that not one of the reviews has alluded to this, although I suspect not many people will try and use it upside down if they're convinced the camera will behave as would ordinarily be expected. I'm more surprised that the manual says nothing!

Hope this helps any Sony CSC users who are not yet aware of this.

Karl

airkas1

Re: Useful info re Sony E-mount CSCs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Great improv Karl, thanks for sharing!

dvincent

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm

JakTrax wrote:
All,
Anyway, I've been using the A5000 more frequently since I invested in a couple of Sigma's new Art primes; the other day I was trying to get above a fence and decided to attempt to use the camera upside-down (above my head), so that I could see the screen from below. Awkward but my only option. What nothing in the manual tells you is that the image flips so that it is the 'right' way up - the camera basically senses that it's inverted and assumes you're wanting to use it above head height.

Yep, any Sony that supports a twisty-flippy screen will support this, as well as fixed-screen bodies. This is also true of A-mount bodies, though our bodies have even more articulation on our screens. If a camera supports a Quicknavi control screen (which I don't think the a5K does) it will also rotate QuickNavi according to your orientation as well. It will also auto-rotate your review images.

FWIW, Sony's manuals are notoriously worthless, if you want to know all the real details and secrets, you should check out Gary Friedman's books. Unfortunately, he never did one for the a5000, but the a6000 book would probably be the closest match since they were contemporaries. Especially for learning about menu options.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 pm

DEan,

I wouldn't mind knowing if there's any way of reducing the in-camera sharpness for jpegs......

Karl

dvincent

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 am

Katl, Go to Creative Style and adjust the sharpness setting to -1.