Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VRHNM
Topic Author

Entry level photography equipment

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello all, apologies for yet another beginner thread.

Ive been using a Nikon Coolpix AW130 for all my plane spotting in the past two years, but the capabilities are really not up to my standards and I'm thinking of getting an entry-level DSLR.

Would there be specific models that work better for plane spotting? Of course higher zoom and stability would be important but I'm not too aware of other factors that may come into play. General comments and advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks!

superjeff

Re: Entry level photography equipment

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 am

I don't think there is a "bad" DSLR. I personally use a Nikon D7200 with an 18-200mm f3.5/5.6 telephoto for most of my shots; I am thinking about an 18-300 mm (which is a bit longer and heavier, but. . . ). I also have an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II four thirds model, which is smaller (because it has no mirror) and lighter, but comparable in cost and quality, IMHO. I've previously used Canon equipment as well. Canon, Nikon, Ricoh (Pentax), and Sony all make good DSLR equipment; you can get an entry level kit at a warehouse store like Costco for about $450 with two lenses. There are also the "mirrorless" models, like the 4/3 Olympus and Panasonic models, and the Sony A series (mirrorless but uses the same type of sensor as the bigger DSLR's that are all worth looking at (but know that these use an electronic rather than an optical viewfinder; I sometimes get frustrated with my Olympus because it is a bit slower to focus than my Nikon.. You've got a lot of choices out there, but, ultimately, it is what feels good in your hands.(kinda like some people like Fords, others prefer Chevrolets/Opels/Peugeots, etc.

jelpee

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Adding to what Superjeff has said above, an entry level DSLR would get you better quality images just by virtue of a larger sensor. It will enable you to do some heavier cropping while still preserving quality. A lot depends on your end goal. For example, if your intent is to get pictures accepted here at a.net, I'd say (generally speaking) you'd need a DSLR in order to meet the quality standards. A decent zoom (70mm-300mm) will enable you to frame images closer from typical perimeter spotting locations. However, if your goal is to assemble a personal catalog of airplane pictures, a camera such as a Nikon Coolpix 500B would work just as well. As suggested an entry level DSLR would give you a lot of flexibility; the down side is that they tend to be larger in size and heavier than the P&S camera types.

FYI, I use a Nikon D800 and a D7100 together with a 70-200mm f2.8 and a 200-500mm f5.6; my goal is to photograph consistent with quality standards at a.net...but that's just me :).

Jehan

seahawk

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 am

Hard to say. DSLRs a bit old technology today with mirrorless system moving in. On the other hand DSLRs give you great IQ for a rather small investment.

Imho you can look at an entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon or a mirrorless system camera from Fuji or Sony. Those should allow you to buy into a system that will be supported for many years.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Well at least those shots that I saw from mirrorless system cameras didn't convince me at all compared to DSLR shots quality-wise.
But I openly admit to be old-school.

Back to the Topic: I agree that any current DSLR would be an upgrade. Conisder tough that most entry-level lenses have sharpness issues at their long-end.
So you might buy a 70-300 but in Terms of quality shots you would be able to only use it until 250mm maybe. The best thing would be to test the equipment first and look if it fits your needs / meets your own Standards. The latter is what counts.

dvincent

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:49 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Well at least those shots that I saw from mirrorless system cameras didn't convince me at all compared to DSLR shots quality-wise.
But I openly admit to be old-school.

Sony is the current market leader in sensor technology and there's plenty of E-mount lenses, or you can adapt Canon lenses if you really want to. The a6000 is probably the best bang for buck entry level camera on the market (though I would recommend people get the a6300 instead).

There's plenty of reasons to not get a mirrorless camera (lens choice, AF performance in some bodies, control options in other bodies) but image quality isn't one of htem.

JakTrax

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm

I bought a Sony A5000 a couple of years ago, when it was GB£249.99 (with the awful 16-50 kit lens).

Since Sony's basic lenses are pretty bad compared to the likes of Canon's EF mount lenses, their mirrorless systems often take some flak for not offering the same image quality as DSLRs. Couple a Sony E-mount body with a decent lens (I have the new Sigma Art primes), however, and you'd struggle to see the difference.

With reference to the comment about DSLRs being older technology, I'd agree, but mirrorless is alternative technology rather than replacement technology. There are some things a DSLR can do that a mirrorless physically can't. That said, for getting images accepted here, a half-decent CSC is more than good enough.

I still use my DSLRs a lot more, but the A5000 is seeing increasing use when I go on holiday due to it being small, light and discreet. A good number of mirrorless lenses also fit right through chainlink fences, which often negates the need to lug around clumsy, heavy ladders.

On a final note, it's worth noting that Panasonic, Olympus (both micro 4/3) and Nikon J offer much smaller sensors than the likes of Sony/Fuji, and thus produce image quality slightly behind that of DSLRs.

Karl

Kaphias

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 am

I really like my Sony a6000, though Karl's observation that the base lenses are lacking is spot-on. They're decent enough for the price, imo. The body is great, nice size, lightweight, superb AF. The EVF can be a bit of a challenge when shooting fast-moving objects but I assume most would adjust. I've never had a DSLR so I wouldn't know what the transition is like.

JakTrax

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Matthew,

The A5000 of course has no EVF, but you get used to using the rear LCD (even for aircraft on finals). Not as accurate as an optical view-finder, though, obviously.