Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1
Topic Author

Thumbnail cleanup - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 am

Hi all,

The following is mainly for photographers, but anyone can comment if they wish. I've quoted the developer, as he worded it quite well (plus it saves time :) )
We would love to hear your feedback on the following:

What we're doing

I made a big change to our image processing servers today. For thumbnail images on the site that are 300 pixels wide or smaller, our servers will now use the original image instead of the watermarked/copyrighted photo when generating a thumbnail. For example, here is a thumbnail from the detailed search results page before and after:

You can see the black copyright bar and the watermark are no longer visible on the updated thumbnail (right). Please note that due to CDN caching it may take a few days for all thumbnails to update to the clean version site-wide.

Right now only thumbnails that are 300px wide or smaller will be "clean." So right now you'll mainly notice the change on detailed search results pages.
You'll then notice that the various "card" layouts on the site use a slightly larger thumbnail, and these are still "dirty." Please see here: https://www.airliners.net/search?display=card

Here is an example of the thumbnail that is used for the card layouts (with giant watermark): https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 72b-15.jpg
Right now that card thumbnail is 600 x 400 pixels. I haven't removed the watermark/copyright from this size because I know photographers would not be okay with an image this size without watermark/copyright bar.

So what I'd like to do is dial down these thumbnails to the maximum size that photographers will be okay with when not having a watermark/copyright bar. Could you guys talk to some photographers and find out what the max dimensions are that they'd be okay with for a clean thumbnail? I think something around 400px might work and wouldn't impact quality too much. The card thumbnails get stretched out to larger widths depending on the size of display that is being used, so they need to stay a little larger than the thumbnails that are on the detailed search results pages. An alternative option is to leave the card thumbnails as they are, with watermarks and copyrights in place wherever these thumbnails are used, although that's not ideal.

By the way, another factor we can adjust is JPEG compression. Currently our thumbnails are not highly compressed, most coming in at around 85% - 95% JPEG compression, which are very high quality thumbnails. Reducing thumbnail compression down to 75% is something that can be done.

Why we're doing this

This has been a top priority issue on the spreadsheet for a while now and it was actually planned for late last year but got postponed as a result of moving servers during the change in ownership. It's really just an issue of aesthetics and on the old site thumbnails did not contain copyright bars and watermarks. If you look at the home page you can see the black lines at bottom of many of the thumbnails and it doesn't look good or professional.

-----
So to reiterate: what we're asking is what size thumbnail you'd be OK with if shown without watermark. As mentioned, we are able to scale the card thumbnails down to 400px, in combination with in increased JPEG compression (from ~90% down to 75%).

scbriml

Re: Thumbnail cleanup - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 am

While I don't use watermarks, I'd be interested to hear from photographers that do. I have to say the thumbs look better without them and the copyright bar.

airkas1
Topic Author

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:22 am

My opinion and what I also wrote in the crew e-mail thread about this topic:

I would be OK with no watermark on the card thumbnails if they get downsized to 400px. The compression quality may stay the same for me. While in theory they could still be used, in all my years being on the site, I have yet to see a serious case of someone stealing and using a thumbnail photo.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 pm

I would generally appreciate larger thumbnails (talking about the deatiled view).
They were kinda nice shortly after the upgrade last year (one of the few positive things at first), but unfortunately made very small (I'd say even smaller than on the old site) a few weeks after.

Otherwise I am not using watermarks neither just like Steve, so of Course I would say thumbnails look better without them. But this would presuppose that thumbnails are actually visibe (see my first point).

glen

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:52 am

While I use watermarks myself, I would be very happy if the thumbnails could be viewed without. Up to the mentioned size of about 400px this should be no problem.

miamivice

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 am

Also for me 400px thumbnails without watermark are ok. :thumbsup:

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I think 400px is enough for me ~

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:00 am

Hi All

After a discussion with our developer we've decided to go with 400px maximum size and no watermarks/copyrights on thumbnails. Thanks to those who provided feedback and also to the screening team who discussed the issue at length.

Regards

Paul