Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Heathrow spotting

Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to go to Heathrow either this weekend or next and have a couple of questions.

When landing on 27L, there is myrtle avenue which is great. In regard to parking, where is best? It looks like Cains Lane may be a good option, although I imagine it gets busy!

Are there any good spots for landgins on 27R? All I can see is purple parking and Heathrow academy. Although I've just found the grass area at the back of the Premier Inn Bath Road which looks like it could be a good place.

For 09L there is the thistle hotel. How happy are they for spotters to sit on the terrace? Do I have to ask,or do I just walk straight up? I am more than happy to purchase food / drinks throughout the day. Also, how busy does it get here? If there are no seats are there any other decent spots for 09L?

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get back. Due to University and a few other commitments, this will be my first time spotting since 2013!

airkas1

Re: Heathrow spotting

Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am

Perhaps this thread from a while ago is of use to you. I can't imagine thing having changed a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1342421

G-CIVP

Fri May 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Things have changed. Parking in Mrytle Avenue now has more restrictions. Parking in Cains Lane is probably best avoided!

airkas1

Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info. What area would you recommend for parking now?

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info!

Can I ask, why have things changed? Would there be problems parking in Cains Lane?

bombayduck

Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Cains Lane is now have double yellow lines, problems arose with builders lorries and other stuff parked there a lot. All due to a new hotel going up. The yellow lines run from Hatton road to the A30 non house side. As for other parking not too sure,as I go to Heathrow via public transport. Hope this helps

kann123air

Sat May 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Virginblue4 wrote:

Are there any good spots for landgins on 27R? All I can see is purple parking and Heathrow academy. Although I've just found the grass area at the back of the Premier Inn Bath Road which looks like it could be a good place.

For 09L there is the thistle hotel. How happy are they for spotters to sit on the terrace? Do I have to ask,or do I just walk straight up? I am more than happy to purchase food / drinks throughout the day. Also, how busy does it get here? If there are no seats are there any other decent spots for 09L?

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get back. Due to University and a few other commitments, this will be my first time spotting since 2013!

I spotted both runways back in June 2015.

The grassy area that you mentioned is perfect for 27L. The whole area is not accessible, however. If you check it out on google maps street view you'll see some red signs about ~20 feet from the road beyond the hedges; make sure not go to beyond those signs. The police will tell you to move if you do.

The thistle hotel is undoubtedly one of my all-time favorite spotting places in the world. They are quite relaxed towards spotters; you don't need to ask anyone for permission, and you don't even need to buy food/drinks (though I suggest you do - their cucumber sandwiches are great!) It never got too busy when I was there. I didn't explore any other 09L spots as thistle was perfect for what I wanted. Also note that 27R departures are spectacular from here.

- 27L arrival from the grassy area

- 27R departure from Thistle

- 09L arrival from Thistle

(sorry for the self-plugs)

Hope you have a great time!

Amrit

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 pm

bombayduck wrote:
Cains Lane is now have double yellow lines, problems arose with builders lorries and other stuff parked there a lot. All due to a new hotel going up. The yellow lines run from Hatton road to the A30 non house side. As for other parking not too sure,as I go to Heathrow via public transport. Hope this helps

I thought I'd give Cains Lane a try today. I managed to park down there fine, although I see what you mean about the double yellow lines along the whole length of the non-house side. Guess I just got lucky!

kann123air wrote:

I spotted both runways back in June 2015.

The grassy area that you mentioned is perfect for 27L. The whole area is not accessible, however. If you check it out on google maps street view you'll see some red signs about ~20 feet from the road beyond the hedges; make sure not go to beyond those signs. The police will tell you to move if you do.

The thistle hotel is undoubtedly one of my all-time favorite spotting places in the world. They are quite relaxed towards spotters; you don't need to ask anyone for permission, and you don't even need to buy food/drinks (though I suggest you do - their cucumber sandwiches are great!) It never got too busy when I was there. I didn't explore any other 09L spots as thistle was perfect for what I wanted. Also note that 27R departures are spectacular from here.

(sorry for the self-plugs)

Hope you have a great time!

Amrit

Thanks for the advice. I was actually referring to this spot 51.479081, -0.424544 I went there today and it was pretty good, although the aircraft disappear behind the purple parking garage. You can park in the car park for up to 4 hours if you are a non-resident and it costs £4. I also went into the hotel to grab a couple of drinks and sat on the bench. It was great!

I will give the Thistle a go next time I am up there. I saw the grassy area today with the red signs, I may check that out too. I am going to try and go every 3-4 weeks from now on. Thanks for the advice!

xxxpan

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:39 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Well that sucks. Thanks for the info. What area would you recommend for parking now?

I would just park at the Hatton Cross station car park. It is a pay & display car park and cost just £5 for the whole day for weekends

ojjunior

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Try the rental cars agencies patio at Northern Perimeter Road, pretty much decent views and noisy as we love!
This is what you might see: