Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

Plane spotting in PTP

Fri May 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello,

I've admired the traffic movement in PTP since I landed there in 1997 due to a diversion flight on AF to SXM. I find the airport nice and beautiful so I always had in the back of my head to go plane spotting here some day. Even though I still don't know when I can go there I'm very interested in knowing the spotting locations there where the sun of course is in my back in not in front of me. I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BOJ4i2c84

It looks like this is a location that is air side but it looks like a very good spot with the sun in your back and the terminal building as background which is just what I would like to photograph. I think this location is on the side where the old terminal building is located (Le Raizet, is that correct?).

How are the airport and police authorities when it come to taking pictures of the airplanes landing and taking off? Are they very strict? Will you get arrested when they see you taking pictures of the aircraft? Is the airport area safe to stay there an entire day to take airplane photos?

Also, is there an airport hotel there? If not, which hotel is the closest to the airport? I read before that a new airport hotel will be constructed there, where will this be built exactly?

Is Guadeloupe an expensive island?

A388

A388
Topic Author

Re: Plane spotting in PTP

Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Is there really nobody who can give advice and/or tips on aircraft spotting in Guadeloupe (PTP)?

A388

CO777/200

Tue May 30, 2017 10:06 am

I spent a few hours at PTP for planes spotting. There are not much movements so don´t expect too much.
I took my pictures here: 16.268104, -61.559476. The angle is not the best but its okay IMHO:

Here is an example: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7963273

I had no issues with the locals or security that was passing by.

The position you are talking about is landside and should be here: 16.262573, -61.530712
I did not checked during my stay.

yoni

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:36 am

A388 wrote:
Hello,

I've admired the traffic movement in PTP since I landed there in 1997 due to a diversion flight on AF to SXM. I find the airport nice and beautiful so I always had in the back of my head to go plane spotting here some day. Even though I still don't know when I can go there I'm very interested in knowing the spotting locations there where the sun of course is in my back in not in front of me. I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BOJ4i2c84

It looks like this is a location that is air side but it looks like a very good spot with the sun in your back and the terminal building as background which is just what I would like to photograph. I think this location is on the side where the old terminal building is located (Le Raizet, is that correct?).

How are the airport and police authorities when it come to taking pictures of the airplanes landing and taking off? Are they very strict? Will you get arrested when they see you taking pictures of the aircraft? Is the airport area safe to stay there an entire day to take airplane photos?

Also, is there an airport hotel there? If not, which hotel is the closest to the airport? I read before that a new airport hotel will be constructed there, where will this be built exactly?

Is Guadeloupe an expensive island?

A388

Hi A388,

I've just seen your post on the Caribbean thread. The new hotel (not built yet) will be in FDF, not PTP. Concerning plane spotting in PTP, the best location is near the old terminal located in Raizet (a neighbourhood of the city of Abymes). Some people even go inside the old terminal where there is a viewing area on the first floor (probably the best spot to take nice pictures). You can also go on the Ernest Pallas street where there are several maintenance hangars for small aircrafts. There is some security but nothing to be worried about. The area is pretty safe during the day. Just say "Bonjour" if someone salutes you.

There is no hotel close to the airport unfortunately. You need to go to downtown Pointe-à-Pitre or in the city of Gosier, not very far from the airport.

Guadeloupe is an expensive place, indeed. Not the best place to buy cheap things. But you can find quality French products, much cheaper than anywhere else in the region. The cheapest restaurants are on the seaside, near the beaches, or within the city You can get a meal for 10 euros. Or there are also several shopping malls around PTP. Milenis is the closest from the "new" airport.

The best time for spotting is either early in the morning between 8 to 10 am or in the afternoon from 1 pm to 6 pm. There is no much activity between 10 am and 1pm.

A388
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Hey CO777/200 and yoni, thanks for your tips. So the old terminal building is open to the public? Is it used at the moment or an abandoned building? I don't speak French so will that be a problem should any authority stop me to ask questions? Is the video link I posted here close or next to the old terminal building? Is the sun in your back the entire day when standing at the old terminal building?

I would love to take photos of all the Air Caraibes aircraft and all the Antilles Express aircraft and hopefully the French Blue A350 should it be used to PTP as well.

Yoni, do you live in PTP if I may ask? Please send me a private message/email.

A388

AF773

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:31 am

Hello all,

I just came across this post (three years later) as I just booked my first trip to PTP. Can you spot from any of the beach hotels in Le Gosier?