Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ikarus
Topic Author

Anyone been planespotting at LHR on Saturday? Photo / video request

Sun May 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello

On the off chance that anyone's been taking photos or videos at Heathrow yesterday (Saturday, 6th May), I'd be very interested in any photos or videos of my plane landing - Turkish Airlines 777-300ER operating TK1985 from Istanbul.

The reason I'm asking is that the landing felt bumpier than usual, but I'm not sure whether that's because I'm too used to landings in 737s & A320s (single wheel bogies on the main landing gear), or because I sat very close to the tail (which naturally exacerbates any movements as it's far from the centre of gravity), or whether it was genuinely the sort of bumpy landing that looks a bit funny from outside, too... just trying to satisfy my curiosity, really...

Thanks in advance for any response

Ikarus
Topic Author

Re: Anyone been planespotting at LHR on Saturday? Photo / video request

Wed May 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Here's the video I recorded inside the plane. Sorry about the less than steady camera (sadly, I don't have steady hands, so the vibrations of the plane got amplified):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/federhirn ... /lightbox/

Touchdown occurs around 1:10. I think I can hear the first set of wheels touching the ground, then more wheels (and there's a splitsecond glimpse of the smoke from the tires), some control surfaces on the wing deploy (I thought they were the spoilers, but could it be inboard ailerons?) and then, around 1:12, there's the sound of some kind of bang (accompanied by what, at the time, felt like a substantial sideways swing) and the control surfaces fold away again, before all the spoilers fully deploy for braking around 1:19, with the sound of the reverse thrust.

At the time, I was wondering whether some tires had burst or possibly the engine touched the ground - the bang & swing felt louder & bigger in the plane than they do on the video - but there was no hint of anything untoward visible after we taxied to the gate. Maybe I've just been watching too many Youtube videos of landing incidents lately, but I'd really love to see the outside view of our landing for comparison.

G-CIVP

Re: Anyone been planespotting at LHR on Saturday? Photo / video request

Sun May 14, 2017 12:49 pm

I think you are reading too much into it!