DerekCZ
Topic Author

Blurry images, strange autofocus

Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 am

Camera is Olympus SP-550UZ, not the best out there, but it does the job when it comes to airplanes.
Anyhow, I wanted to take some pictures, and found out that the autofocus is completely unaware of the situation. I have it set up so it is still trying to focus, even when I am not pressing the shutter button, and it focuses fine. But when I press it, the lens moves up and down and blurs the already well-focused image. This happens 75% of all situations. Basicaly, it goes from this:
To this:
Of course I take multiple pics per plane, but usualy when the first one goes out of focus, the rest just follows.
I tried switching from auto to manual, and that kinda works, but as you can see the planes are low and it is usualy cloudy so I do not have time to adjust the focus myself, as the labels of manual focus stop at 5 meters, and guessing takes too much time.
I am now thinking about getting 1.7x teleconverter, but the price in the Czech Republic for the complete set with adapters is around 100$, which is just too much for me.
#etopskilledquads

airkas1
Crew

Re: Blurry images, strange autofocus

Mon May 01, 2017 12:48 pm

I experience something like this as well at times and usually it's caused by the sky and plane 'blending in'. In your examples, the color of the plane is about the same as the sky, which could be the reason why the autofocus has trouble deciding what the subject is.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener