solomanflyer
Topic Author

How do aviation photographers make money,

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:27 pm

I am wondering how do photographers make money, after spending their valuable time and effort along with the equipment they get nothing but posting the photos in the internet.

of course some do it as a hobby and expect nothing in return.. But those who work as a freelancer how do they get paid?
:shock: :dollarsign:

G-CIVP

Re: How do aviation photographers make money,

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Photographers may receive fees for one off publications, syndicated publications or commercial work, e.g. Annual Reports. However, can you make a living out of it? I would say not as the demand just isn't there. I know I someone will disagree but in the main, it is a hobby the vast majority.

jelpee
Crew

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 am

You'd have to be actively marketing you images to make s living at it. I've sold a few images but not enough to quit my day job! I've been approached by many including aircraft leasing companies to use my images in their promotional materials, but the moment you quote them a fee, they are no longer interested. Everyone one wants to use your images for free...perhaps they think an acknowledgment will suffice. Particularly bad are authors of book who seemingly would sell their books for a profit, but want to use your images for free.

I do this purely as a hobby because I enjoy airplanes and things aviation related.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

JKPhotos

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am

solomanflyer wrote:
I am wondering how do photographers make money, after spending their valuable time and effort along with the equipment they get nothing but posting the photos in the internet.

of course some do it as a hobby and expect nothing in return.. But those who work as a freelancer how do they get paid?

Simple answer: they don't (make money in general). For most of us it is a simple hobby. And even by buying expensive equipment, why would I need to earn money with it then? It is not a question of return-on-investment.

I doubt there are much freelancers doing aviation shots. Like other said there isn't a large market.

You can certainly sell a picture here and there, but to live from it? Problem is there is much more offer than demand.

cpd

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 am

solomanflyer wrote:

Unless you get some magazine covers or annual report photo requests, there isn't the dollars in it. And as someone said before, the moment you mention money for a photo, you hear all the sob-stories in the world, or complete silence. They know someone will give them the image for free, probably even hand over all rights as well.

I think at least a few people here must surely do normal photography (eg corporate events, weddings, journalism type stuff) to make the dollars. But even the latter is turning into a piranha pool as well with big newspapers dismissing their in house photography departments and outsourcing them, or at least rehiring some of the photographers as freelancers. I know where I am, I'm the last one in the place with the photography knowledge still full time, and that's because it wasn't my only role, I have other duties and responsibilities which nowadays are 90% of my time.

And the other thing is with the smart-phone, everybody is a photographer. The newsworthy aviation photograph (such as an incident) is immediately shared via twitter, facebook or the like by someone with a smart phone. That serves the news websites well enough, because it is right away.

I haven't forgotten how to take photos, it's just that I only do it as needed for my work. Otherwise there are things I enjoy more than spending all day sitting around outside an airport taking photos of planes. I found what I really enjoy doing, I just wish I'd found it when I was so much younger.

Enjoy photography, make a dollar when you can, but always have a backup plan - have other things on the go all the time.

dvincent

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Get hired to do private jet photo shoots. But even that's dried up for me, and I could never make a day job out of it.
From the Mind of Minolta