Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maniacmicky
Topic Author

Extreme shutter speed unsharp images

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi all!

I've tried a few different settings to capture fast jets in Aperture Priority mode at f/5.6 with the shutter speed in normal daylight conditions
reaching approx 1/1600s (at base iso) which seems to work great but on occasion the shutter has climbed way up to 1/4000s producing un-sharp images as the light intensifies nearer the sun. In this case I fix the shutter speed in Shutter priority mode to resolve the problem.
My question is I would have thought faster shutter speeds would elimate any camera shake and freeze the action so I cannot explain how they could be not be sharp. Any ideas how this could be occurring?

Thanks!

vikkyvik

Re: Extreme shutter speed unsharp images

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:14 pm

maniacmicky wrote:
but on occasion the shutter has climbed way up to 1/4000s producing un-sharp images as the light intensifies nearer the sun.

Could be that the camera is having trouble focusing. My autofocus tends to start having issues when I point it at the extremely bright areas near the sun.

maniacmicky
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks, that could explain it.

sovietjet

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 pm

What lens do you use? Is f5.6 the lower limit of the aperture? Most longer lenses have a sweet spot between f8-f10 and at f5.6 it is always soft. This is the case with my Canon 100-400.

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm

sovietjet wrote:
What lens do you use? Is f5.6 the lower limit of the aperture? Most longer lenses have a sweet spot between f8-f10 and at f5.6 it is always soft. This is the case with my Canon 100-400.

On the other hand, I don't notice much difference at all between F5.6 and F8-10 on my 100-400. As a result, I almost always shoot at F5.6, unless I want to get some panning motion-blur.

Kaphias

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
sovietjet wrote:

On the other hand, I don't notice much difference at all between F5.6 and F8-10 on my 100-400. As a result, I almost always shoot at F5.6, unless I want to get some panning motion-blur.

I highly recommend checking out the sharpness field maps for anyone's lenses at www.dxomark.com.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 am

maniacmicky wrote:
Hi all!

I've tried a few different settings to capture fast jets in Aperture Priority mode at f/5.6 with the shutter speed in normal daylight conditions
reaching approx 1/1600s (at base iso) which seems to work great but on occasion the shutter has climbed way up to 1/4000s producing un-sharp images as the light intensifies nearer the sun. In this case I fix the shutter speed in Shutter priority mode to resolve the problem.
My question is I would have thought faster shutter speeds would elimate any camera shake and freeze the action so I cannot explain how they could be not be sharp. Any ideas how this could be occurring?

Thanks!

I would generally use a higher ISO and apertures of F/8.0. And the ISO increase to get the shutter speed I want. Modern cameras give you that luxury with ISO, even older ones like a D700 Nikon.

This shot was ISO400, F/7.1 and 1/3200sec and 650mm with a crop (using a teleconverter and a 200-400mm F/4.0 lens on a D700 Nikon):

ISO400, F/6.3 and 280mm on the D700. This time 200-400mm with 1.4x TC:

I don't have any newer photos than 2009 or 2010 as examples.

I think the unsharp is down to the strong light and shooting with that light in front of you, having an effect on the lens. If the camera wasn't focusing, you'd notice that. Shooting into strong light with some lenses is really hard, while others can make it much easier. I've seen this before. Shooting into the sun can confuse the auto focus, but as I said before, you'd notice it.

If you still aren't sure, try bumping the ISO and using F/8.0 or so and seeing what you get.